1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Neglected area

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brambles, May 29, 2005.

1. Brambles

Brambles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Would be grateful for any words of wisdom. I have a neglected area and do not know where to start. However have plumped for one area in front of the window to start with... A rocky strip of land, cotswold stone, choaked with brambles and ivy. Have started to clear but the roots of the bramble are impossible to shift and soil, what there is of it is completely locked with ivy roots, and bramble roots. However there is a nice strong rosemary bush at the edge. Clearly now it is cleared it is going to just sprout more brambles. It faces direct south and is in full sun

It is also not the easiest spot to access with a 15ft drop at the edge. How would you tackle it...

Eventually want to plant herbs(sage, thyme etc).

However the clearance makes me just want to crawl under a stone. Is there lining you can put on the ground and put plants through.. would this work? I do not want to use too many chemicals as will be growing herbs for eating, but perhaps everything will be necessary. Apologies for the long post but am hoping some kind soul out there will help.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    <Is there lining you can put on the ground and put plants through.. would this work?>

Yes is called a semi permeable membrane and if weighted with a mulch, should work for you (it worked for me with field bindweed) - but don't be surpised to see the ivy reappear at the edge :)

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    On the positive side the things that you want to grow are pretty thuggish themselves so if there is a fight to be had they might make it :D . Id agree with fran, cover it and mulch it.

4. Brambles

Brambles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I show my ignorance......

Errrrrrrrrr what do you mean by mulch it is a term banded around but what is it .. are we talking manure?

The plants have to be hardy with me in charge I manged to kill a spider plant!!

Mind you the brambles put up a good fight I have the scars to prove it!!

Thanks for the replies it is really helpful will be down the garden centre tomorrow!!

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    In my opinion, when all else fails clearing out persistant roots needs a proprietary weedkiller like Roundup. Spray it on the leaves and it goes right to the root system. It is inactive after a few hours (for animals and wildlife). I've cleared out a couple of problem spots with it.

Mulch is anything you put on top of the soil or membrane but in this case could be bark chippings, gravel, compost, etc - even a few bricks to weigh it down!