1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Off-plant ripening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Given the temperatures overnight, the lack of sun during the day, and the available time that I have left to work on things, I decided to day was the day that the tomato plants would get culled as the chances of them producing any red ones now was slim at best; trouble is, I apparently had a lot more fruit than I thought (two large pyrex bowls full and still harvesting)

Some of them are clearly quite immature fruit that won't ripen in a month of Sundays, so I presume that they will be my chutney ones? Others are in the same boat, not because they are immature, but because they are really DARK green on the upper half of the fruit (goodness knows why?) - I'll post photos later on when I get a chance.

Others are nice, mature, and even slightly ripened fruits (going that sort of lighter green to orange sort of stage); is there any way that these will ripen off the plant (on a windowsill for example) and is there anything I can do to help them along?

2. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
  3. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Ashford - Muswell Hill? not a million miles apart but my toms remain on the vine ripening, goes to show, we gardeners know our geography?

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They will only ripen off the plant if they've reached that translucent looking stage, bit difficult to describe, but if they still look propper green then its chutney time.

Lob em in a big bowl with any other ripe fruit. The ethlyne gas will bring on the ones that will. Cover the bowl to keep the gas in, unless the sun is out on the windowsill.

5. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Thanks all :)

You're right Vince, not all that far from me - but as much as the dropping temperatures, my decision was also made by the fact that I get limited days off work, and wanted to get a whole load of rearranging done in the garden today whilst I had a day off. I've not had a hell of a lot from my toms this year anyway, so felt it was best to cut and run.

I've got a good few big ones that have reached the translucent stage - pretty sure that they would have ripened if I had left alone anyway, but I also have a hell of a lot of green ones that I am going to use for chutney (going to organise some kilner jars over the weekend); here are some of the greener ones, and more importantly some of the ones with the really DARK green tops - can anyone tell me what that is all about?

IMAG0116.jpg

I got three big bowls full (approx 2 ltr bowls at a guess), so I am not short.

6. liliana

liliana Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,580
    I always leave them on the vine, and then string them up, leave them hanging up in the conservatory, they will ripen, by themselves.

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of those are good to ripen:blue thumb: Don't know why some go green on top

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    I had to chop down 3 tomato plants 10 days ago because of blight, I picked a bowlfull of green fruit off them. Since then about half of them have ripened, just sitting on the kitchen windowsill. So yours will too fc, just keep them somewhere warm, they don't actually need sunlight to ripen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,283
      :-( Mine ripen then show blight after day two, the plants themselves were clean
      So I binned the lot (They go red, then one side turns bruised like a rough brown pear skin)
      Year one too late planting and missed all the fruit just green
      This year blight
      Next year removal of GH and a nice very large slabbed back garden with a swing for myself with some GnT from the seed cost savings

Jack McH

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Jack:

Get your Stiff Upper Lip back out of the cupboard !!

• Like Like x 1
      • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
        +1,663
        The done thing "USED TO BE" wrap them in a towel and place in a drawer until they ripen.
        In these days of PC etc. it's probably frowned on - but it works.
        I would think the darkest should, as suggested head for the Chutney jar.

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,509
          OK - using a sort of mish-mash of the advice given here, I present the (un)patented 'FC Indoor Matty Ripener'

This design is, of course, free for all GC members to use - but lets keep it to ourselves, eh? :snork:

IMAG0129.jpg

Since taking the photo, I have wrapped the box in clingfilm, and it nestles at the back end of the living room where it will be relatively warm, and I can keep an eye on their progress.

And, I still have a load for chutney (which I am about to make)

IMAG0130.jpg

Just goes to show - if the weather had been a bit warmer, I almost certainly would have been blessed with a lot more ripe tomatoes through the summer.

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,509
            Well, the chutney is on and bubbling away nicely, all I need to do now is sterilise my jars and hope that I have enough of them.

How long does chutney keep?