1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!! Picked up the wrong weedkiller!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Jamie Walker, May 17, 2020.

1. Jamie Walker

Jamie Walker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all this is my first post and unfortunately not one im proud of with it being newbie error. Ive spent all of lockdown growing a new lawn and got it looking lovely but unfortunately with it being new build the top soil effectively came from a local farmers field so is a bit prone to weeds.

Instead of picking up my weedol weed killer safe for lawns the other day when i spotted a few i stupidly picked up the weedol fast acting weedkiller which isnt safe for lawns so now have patches bringing me so much heartache ha! Worked so bloody hard to get it looking good so dont want to lose it if i can help it.

Whats the best way to sort quickly and effectively? I believe the fast acting weedol is acetic acid based

May also help to say i have part layed lawn part sown but very mature now

Thanks in advance all

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Are you talking about a newly Turfed or Seeded lawn ?

Seems that weedkiller is a Contact only, and the soil around it can be reseeded etc the day after treatment.

3. Jamie Walker

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi ricky thank you for your reply

So 3 patches on laid turf (nov last year) and 1 on seeded in march

Regards

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    To be honest would not have used a weedkiller on a seeded lawn, most proper lawn weed killers state they should not be used on new lawns for about 6 months or so.

Manyof the bigger weeds can be controlled just by regular lawn mowing.

In the seeded lawn would think it best to just remove the top growth of the weed to avoid disturbing the soil and young grass too much; give it chance to create a good thick mat before weeding.

Now would think simply removing the dead grass, gently loosen the soil and apply some new seed and a fine covering of soil or compost.

For the turf, again being so new might still say just hand weed with a long sharp knife until its really growing strongly.
    If you sow seed in it , it might look a different colour to the existing grass, so assuming the 'burnt' area is not too big, again remove the dead grass, gently loosed that bit of soil adding some fresh compost and just let the surrounding grass grown over it.
    Should not take long in this warm weather along with some watering over those patches and surround area.
    If you have any spare turf then you could patch it.

In a few months time when you do have stronger lawns be very wary of the spray bottles of Lawn Weedkillers as the slightest over use and its burns the grass as well, as we found to our cost the other year, took months to grow back !

Generally find the concentrate liquid lawn wedkillers that you add to a watering can a much safer way, plus you can buy ones that feed at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jamie Walker

Ratings:
      +1
      @ricky101
      Cheers whilst ive got you any ideas on this?

Grass lately seems to be goinf bit yellow and dont understand as ive watered regularly. Some places online state over watering others disease but as above its fairly newly laid. Do i help it with a bit of fertiliser or just leave

Many thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        It looks a lot greener than our lawns ! perhaps you should let us know how you do it ! :biggrin:

If the experts do not come in to this thread then post it direct in the Lawns section
        Lawns

• dld2s

dld2s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        could be a lack of nitrogen, so I would say yes, give a feed, also make sure when watering to try and irrigate evenly