1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help please - getting soil healthy and a sink hole

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bouncingnrg, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Bouncingnrg

Bouncingnrg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

1st post here and I'm hoping for some advise.

I've started to clear my front garden today the hope to turn it into a herb garden. The garden was covered in 4in of gravel, I've cleared all this away and underneath there was some sort of tarp to keep all the green growth away, I'm not sure how long it was like this but I'm guessing a very long time, the soil looks dead, there was no life/worms etc, and looked liked clay.

1st question is what would be the best way to get the soil back up to health? I'm thinking to dig out some of the clay and buy in some nice soil.

Another thing is under part of the tarp I discovered a really big hole, I'm thinking it's some sort of sink hole, it's about 20in across an it's 5ft deep, it could be deeper than this but the erosion goes of at a angle after 5ft, how should I go about filling this, I thought about putting the gravel and dug out clay down there?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
    Mark

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome.

I can't comment on the big hole, because I have no idea what might be in there. An old well? A disused mine shaft? A troll?

As for the soil, I'd start by getting some air into it, just by digging it over a couple of times. There's two reasons for digging it over. Firstly, I firmly believe that you can't really know what you're dealing with until you've dug it by hand. Secondly, as I just mentioned, digging it over will get lots of air into which will be essential, as it is probably severely compacted, and will have been anaerobic for a while now.

• Like Like x 1
    • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Good evening Mark and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: I agree with Clueless, the soil really must be dug over. Clay has more nutrient than other soild so you are better off working it. With the advice from people on here you will soon get it producing all sorts of plants. As for the the "sink hole ", I came across a very similar thing at a clients years ago. It was actually caused because part of the garden had been built up around a tree. The tree was then cut down but about 4ft of the trunk was left buried. When it rotted down all that was left was a deep hole, covered by about 2" of turf.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        • Like Like x 1
        • Bouncingnrg

Ratings:
          +1
          Thanks for the responses. I'll go out moor row and start digging it over, although I can see it turning to a horrible muddy mess with this nasty weather we have coming.

As for the hole, I also think it could be a rotten tree, the cottages were I now live were build back in 1870 and It was a very leafy area and the hole looks to perfectly round not to be a tree stump. I went to wikes and picked up a load of sand to fill it, I think I'll put the single I'm clearing down there as well.

• Bouncingnrg

Ratings:
          +1
          Also, when digging it over o you think I should add anything to he soil, compost, manure etc?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          If you put some manure or compost in it, it will help keep the structure. Clay is nutrient rich but it compacts too easily, and in summer it can bake hard and crack, making it difficult to grow anything in. Working in some organic matter, ie compost or manure, will give you the best of both worlds.

If its clay and you dig it when its wet, you'll be in for a back breaking time and although your effort will be worthwhile, if it was me, I wouldn't bother doing any more than just turning it over at this time of year, and possibly putting in the manure. Then in early spring, once the air has had chance to get into your newly broken up soil, I'd then put a bit more effort in, turning it once more, and breaking it up much finer and then work on getting it level.

• daitheplant

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881
          Mark, don`t bother trying to dig it just yet, let it dry out a bit. For now, spend your time planning what you are going to grow.:thumbsup: May I ask whereabouts in the country you are?

• Bouncingnrg

Ratings:
          +1
          I'm in Radlett, Herts. I've got the plan all done, m going to grow the herbs from seeds so I'll be doing that in doors until spring.

• daitheplant

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881

So if you pot them on there is no real panic to sort the soil. Let it dry out for now and concentratre on getting your herbs ready for planting.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,295
            "the cottages were I now live were build back in 1870 and It was a very leafy area and the hole looks to perfectly round not to be a tree stump. I went to wikes and picked up a load of sand to fill it, I think I'll put the single I'm clearing down there as well. " END QUOTE

Err it is not the sceptic tank vent is it?

Jack McH

• Bouncingnrg

Ratings:
            +1
            Thanks forthe last responses,the septic tank was out the back, I'm 99% sure it's a old tree, any way I filled it in today with all the single,some sand and water and the last ft with soil.

I also tuned over the solid today, once it was broken up it looked much healthier, there were even a few worms in there, yay!!

The only downer is it looks like all the builders from the ages used it as a dumping ground, it's full of broken slate, bricks, pipe. :-(

• Like Like x 1
            • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,295
              Sounds like you are on your way with a good start
              Worms Worms, I had to buy mine in :-)

Good luck and well done so far

Jack McHammocklashing