1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help please, I think this could be bindweed? but im not sure

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by killabyte, Apr 20, 2010.

1. killabyte

killabyte Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Please can somebody help id this? a few have popped up in my garden (im in the uk) and i think that its bindweed but im not sure. they start out like the left picture with the leaves all wrapped up and then change to like the right picture.

thanks in advance

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    The picture on the right looks very like it. Don't pull it up. It will regrow from any root left in the soil.

I got rid of mine by using a pesticide with Glyphosphate. Glyphosphate works by being taken down into the roots and killing them. I put a bit of glyphosphate into a poly bag, then stuffed the bindweed into the bag, taped it up, and left it for 10 days. This way the bindweed is in contact with the Glyphosphate for 10 days, which is much more effective than just spraying it.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    That is bindweed, if it is just a small patch you could try digging it out very carefully - the roots go down a long way - they are thick and white so easy to find in the soil, just don't leave any behind, even the smallest piece will quickly regrow.