Help please!!

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Ella17, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Ella17

Ella17 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hello Everyone,
    Last year I planted a small greengage tree. It was doing very well this spring and had lots of small fruits on it. Unfortunately the leaves look like they have some sort of disease and the fruits are not getting any bigger. Please could someone suggest what might be wrong and if there is anything I can do to save it?
    Many thanks. IMG_20170717_1530338_rewind.jpg

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    @Ella17 if you only planted it last year have you watered and fed it at all as we had a dry winter and Spring. It could be lack of water and nutrients, they take a couple of years to establish a good root system.. Did you prepare the hole first with some well rotted compost.? Water is also a key problem for trees in the first couple of years as the roots take a while to establish.. :thumbsup:

3. Ella17

Ella17 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,
    I have watered it but I haven't fed it at all. To be honest, I wasn't aware that I should be feeding it, and I must admit I wouldn't know what to feed it with. (I wish I knew more about gardening).
    I have sprayed it with Bayer Fungus Fighter but it still looks really poorly. I have an established Victoria Plum tree that is looking a bit the same. I would be grateful if you could suggest a feed that I could try.
    Thank you very much for any suggestion you could give.

4. Ella17

Ella17 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Btw - I did prepare the hole with compost as instructed by the plant nursery that I got it from.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    @Ella17 how often do you water.? Plum trees and greengage need the soil to be moist down to 24 inches below the surface. You should be watering your tree enough to maintain moisture to this depth. In summer and hot weather like we are having they can use 1-2 gallons at least a day when in fruit and would also benefit from being mulched in the Autum.. You can feed Autumn or Spring.. I personally for plums and gages, use a handful of organic dried poultry pellets and some organic potassium every 3 years in the Autum, but I refresh the mulch each Autumn.. Hope that helps.. :SUNsmile:

6. Ella17

Ella17 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I didn't realise they needed that much water!! I use a full watering can every other day - so obviously that's not enough!
    Thank you for the advice, I will get the feed that you suggest and hope that they will recover.
    Do you think the fruits will be edible this year or are they too badly damaged?