1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help, please!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by not_a_gardener, Jan 5, 2019.

1. not_a_gardener

not_a_gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all! Thanks for the add :)

I need help, desperately, please!

We moved into our new house last month and the pics are the back garden. The previous tenant (we are council tenants, and the council won't do anything to sort it out) was a keen gardener in terms of having it as an allotment, there's a lot of felt and plastic under the grass, old decomposed doors in another part, ect.

We intend to sort all this and bring it up to the best standard we can without spending thousands (which sadly I can see happening)

I've never gardened before in my life, I have always avoided it. But with the state of this, I'm not leaving it like this, we have two kids and they deserve to have a garden they can play in.

Can anyone recommend what to do first? A friend has suggested a rotorvator but I suspect there's a lot to do before we can do that.

154669696291350807813945880151.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
      +428
      First thing I would do is a good tidy up so that you know what is where, what can be removed, what has to be left where it is etc.

Then have a look at the soil. Is it it clay or loam or sandy? That will help with putting in the right plants and stop you wasting money on something that won't grow.

Then see where the sun comes up and goes down. Is the garden south-facing?

Then think about what you actually want to do with the space. Do you want a lawn for the kids? Do you want to grow flowers or veg? Decking, patio space? A plan before you start work will also help avoid expensive mistakes. You don't need to spend thousands on getting the garden you want. It just depends on how patient you are and how much work you can do yourself.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
        Ratings:
        +2,369
        Ive seen a lot worse.

The up side is that you have a blank canvas to do with as you please.

Id remove the path down the right hand side, then clear out any plants that you don't want. Save the slabs for re-use to save a few quid.

Id then collect all of the doors / other rubbish and either skip it or burn it

Youre at the wrong time of year for planting but you can use the time until spring to clear up the rubbish and wander around the garden, deciding what you want from it. mark out where you want any flower beds / patio etc. Pay attention to the areas that get sun or shade - this will help when deciding what to plant and where to sit out.

I would imagine that a lot will be grassed for the kids.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,847
          Great advice from the above two posts,I can only add don't try and do everything at once ,I would respectfully suggest that once you have a plan of action,just a small area at a time,that way you can stand back and see the changes as you complete them and even maybe get the little ones involved if at all possible,it will soon come to fruition good luck my friend:smile:

• Agree Agree x 6
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,465
            I agree, you don't need to think about laying out much in the way of money but there's quite a bit of work that can be done.

As the others say, clear out the rubbish first and whilst you're doing that you can think about what you want the garden for.

The standard layout for a garden tends to have a patio near the house (looks as though you may have that but it needs some work done on it), then a lawn with flower beds and a veggie patch towards the back. If that suits your ideas then you can start planning. some people like straight lines and more formal layouts. Whereas others prefer curved lawns and beds and something less formal.

A little bit at a time is key to doing it.

It also helps us give advice if you put your location under your avatar. There's a place to do that in the part where you put that you are female. Where you live can make a difference to which are the best plants to grow. Type of soil and climate makes a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
              Ratings:
              +14,125
              Wow, that is a great space to play with.! :SUNsmile: I really can't add much more to the great advice already given .. I think if it was me I would make a plan of what I wanted to end up with and then I would defo start with clearing all the plastic and rubbish out from what was the veg area.. I would leave the small patch of grass by the patio and house until last as it will give the children somewhere to play for the moment while you clear the rest.. I would conquer the unruly area first, but keeping a bit of semblance by the house, as it can overwhelm you sometimes if you try to do it all at once.. Don't try and do it all at once as you might feel a little overpowered.. Do keep us up to date with your progress as it looks a great project.. :SUNsmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                Ratings:
                +54,374
                Wow what a lovely size!!!
                Everything has already been said so won't add too much more except to reiterate to take your time, clearance first then work at manageable sizes with a rough vision of an end result in mind.

Perhaps starting with a safe play space for your children ( that will make then happy next summer!!;)) and clear a little family seating area ( BBQ??....everyones happy:dbgrtmb:)

Then spend your first summer enjoying and getting to know what you have to work on, throwing ideas around and involving your children in exchanging their thoughts/ ideas too......great way to encouraging budding gardeners:blue thumb:
                Ours was a totally overgrown and out of control mess when we moved in many years ago, as an elderly lady lived here alone. We cleared the whole area and gradually began working on our ideas....gardening is always ( I think) a work in progress even after 36 years we still alter or tweak things!! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                  Ratings:
                  +54,374
                  Forgot to add.......

[​IMG] to the forum!

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                    Ratings:
                    +4,411
                    All good advice.

Make a long term plan.

After clearing the rubbish.
                    Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Like Like x 1