Help pls to a very new gardener

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by SK175, Feb 20, 2015.

1. SK175

SK175 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

We very recently moved into our new home with a sizable back garden and a front flower bed. Since we moved in late summer, most of what the previous owner had planted bloomed while we planted a few hydrangea plants (my favourite) and dahlias.

Coming up to Spring now, I was wondering what I could plant in my front flower bed at this point considering its already February? I wanted to plant tulips (Neighbour garden envy:P) but just found out that I should have planted the bulbs last August (Woops!). I would like to know if I can buy young plants to bloom in Spring and plant them and then change them up in late Spring for new Summer bedding plants. Important to note that the front flower bed already has two hydrangea plants which are beginning to grow shoots but the soil is very very shallow with concrete underneath so I doubt I can plant any more annuals and will have to be a seasonal flowering plant.

Any help would be majorly appreciated. I wanted to plant something that will bloom through to May and then wanted to plant Begonias and Daffodils to carry me through summer

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    The range have lots of potted spring bulbs (including tulips) which you could plant, or sone dwarf daffs as they're tough as anything and will multiply each year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,278
      Can you not try and get through that concrete to make deeper beds for the future ?
      I can not help much with the plants bit apart that of course you can put summer bedding plants in, I am more into tomatoes and sweet peas myself, oh and easy veg, tatties, carrots, peas, and runner beans
      Welcome to the forums, you will find this a great community

Jack McHammocklashing

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      I agree with Jack. It'll be hard work to get rid of the concrete, but worth it in the end. There is another option though, raised beds, but again, requires some work. I would wait until later (late May) and plant some annuals until you have a better idea what you're aiming at. If you posted a piccy (start a thread in the 'General Gardening' section), we would have a better idea of your situation and would be able offer more informed suggestions. Too late for Daffs I'm afraid, need to be planted around September/October time, ideally.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,240
      Most GCs have pot Daffs (tete a tete), Primrose Polyanthus, Pansies and Violas for planting now for Spring, some lasting through to late May filling the gap until the Summer bedding can be planted.

• Like Like x 1
      • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        Ah yes, I was thinking bulbs :)

• Peter Jones

Peter Jones Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Many people will be there to suggest you which flowers or which strains of orchids will look good whether you do indoor gardening or outdoor. But the main thing of gardening is to take care of your plants what you choose to grow.

The most essential part of growing your plant is the pot. The pot with an amount of soil needs proper aeration as well as water. For many pots it needs distribution of water in an order. As per my concern, some times it may not be possible for you to check the whole thing, but eco grow pots with irrigation technology can do it in proper manner. The Irrigation System Pots come along with its accessories like
        # Dipstick
        # Eco Expansion Irrigation Kit
        etc.

It is a free advise but choice is your.

Attached Files: