1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help relating to Lithops...?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hartley Botanic, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all [​IMG]

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding Lithops?

Think mine might need re-potting but this will be the first time I have done it and I am a little nervous. I have heard that ready-made cactus soil is recommended, so will be seeking some of that out, but any additional advice would be great, if you have any.

Thanks![FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] ca[/FONT]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,986
    Hi, I've grown these strange plants for years, mine are all seed grown so separating the lithops from the conophytums etc is not easy.
    But they all like the same conditions and I would only repot when the plants are getting overcrowded, pure sharp sand is OK as a potting compost, fine horticultural grit, or something I'm not sure you can still get, "Seramis"clay granules.

I never use cactus compost as I tend to think, gritty as it is, its still not well drained enough and the plants grow very lush and out of character.
    They survive on almost nothing fertilizer wise.

And as you probably know they should not be watered between september, until the old leaves shrivel, which in my case is usually May.

Thats the time I would repot, just as the new growth is starting.

3. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I did know this :o Thank you (belatedly, I apologise), it is now noted!