1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help - sandhills garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jenny22, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jenny22

jenny22 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +6
    We have dug a long large what is intended to be a herbacious border along one side of our garden, the back piece we did last year and we wanted to enlarge it, so we dug out the grass all along the front, making it 3 times as wide, well in the mornings it looks like sand dunes. not actual molehills, weve got enough moles in the lawn, but purely up and down earth all the way along the front, if you walk on it the ground feels loose under your feet at certain points, there are tiny holes in the earth, not big enough for a rabbit, unless they are developing micro rabbits, and I have given up trying to plant annuals in there just put plants in pots, we have had various thoughts from friends, ie badgers, moles, etc. any thoughts would be appreciated. I have to rake over it to flatten it every morning

jenn

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi Jen

Welcome to the forum and youre 1st question

I think vole's is the probem , Ihad /have the same problem they run along the edge of the flower borders and go into the lawn I never realy noticed until spring this year small holes all over the border I know it sounds bad but I stuck the hose pipe down the hole and a wet vole popped out :happydance:

I think next doors cats have sorted that problem out

Spruce

3. jenny22

jenny22 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks voles as opposed to moles do you mean? Like you I hosepiped the holes but they still do it!!!

Jenn

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Deffo Voles not moles ..

they eat the grass roots and other roots as well ie your plants and can naw away at the bark at the bottom of trees.

To get rid ..... off another question I dont like going on about how to kill little furry critters somone else may help

Spruce

5. jenny22

jenny22 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +6
    ta we do have voles, cats occasionally catch em

jenn