1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Sprayed rsomeary/lavender with weed killer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gila, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have got two problems: First - Ihave rosemary bug, smalll shiny bug devouring my lavender and Rosemary, have been treateing with friendly spray as directed by garden centre. But not helping much
    However, just discovered I have sprayed twice with lawn weed killer - ssame bottle, just someone swopped places and I didn't look. I discovered tonightafter spraying and have hosed down well, anything else I can do - have I killed them? Four lavender bushes and two rosemary.
    Any adivce?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    what type of weedkiller and how soon after did you hose them down?

3. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,,
    thanks for replying, Lawn weed killer, for dandelions, thistles etc. Hosed down immediately, but sprayed once already week ago

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Do you know what brand or what the chemical it contains is?

if you first sprayed a week ago and they are still ok it sounds hopeful

5. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got from shed! Verdon 'kills weeds not lawns' can't find ingredients! ok for pets and kids, harmful to fish etc.

6. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    does say, however, say ' avoid contact with cultivated plants' think I will start a petition to make containers look different (I am aware I was pretty dumn)

7. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    VERDONE Its a selective weedkiller which isn't as bad as weedol or roundup....it kills broad leaf weeds but leaves grass ok...so with rosemary and lavender being strappy sort of leaves you might have fell lucky [​IMG]

You did right by washing it off (is it poss last weeks spraying could have been the right stuff if they are similar containers)? anyway keep an eye on them, give em a good watering and pray [​IMG]

8. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you I am praying - six years of growth! Plants around them looking bit sad!
    No definitely used Verdone, had left ever spray at neighbours over weekend for some strange reason!
    Appreciate your help! Have you come across these horrible shiny bugs - form America apparently

9. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  10. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting I know several people who have been blighted! Are they only in London? Known cure?

11. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Just a point but make sure you read how long the chemical stays in the plant EG: how safe before you can pick if you are using them for culinary use

12. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    section from that link I posted above

>Control
    Rosemary beetle can be controlled either with insecticides or hand picking of the adults and larvae. There are no recommended insecticides that can be used on rosemary if they are to be used for culinary purposes. If pesticides are used then these are best applied in late summer to early autumn or in the spring, when the beetles and larvae are active on the plants. Suitable insecticides that can be used include bifenthrin or imidacloprid. Insecticides should not be used while plants are in flower because of the danger to bees. <

13. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thanks for that! I have decided, sadly, to buy this year! Off to rid myself of toxins in the bath
    Good to know there is support out there. night

14. Gila

Gila Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    But before I go - I am an obsessive hand picker of the adults, not sure what the larvae looks like.
    You have great knowledge, self taught or your profession?

15. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2