1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help unidentified weed!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Elliegreenwelly, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Elliegreenwelly

Elliegreenwelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Can you wonderful gardening people please help me identify the latest abomination to appear in my new garden/weed patch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It comes out of the ground as a curled leaf. I know it's wild as I keep seeing it in fields and hedgerows, worried it is bindweed, please tell me it's not! Never had it last year in the garden so very strange we have dug over everywhere though. Just need to know the best way of dealing with it, digging up or weedkiller. Thanks in advance for any replies xx

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Lords and Ladies and many many other common names too. Arum maculatum. It grows from a bulb and round each bulb are lots of baby ones. So when you dig them out it is hard not to leave some behind. Weedkiller does work but it takes time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Elliegreenwelly

Elliegreenwelly Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thank you, thank you! Now I have googled it, I do remember seeing a few of the red berry spikes last year, seems they are also poisonous which with a toddler and a dog isn't ideal, will start pulling them out, so pleased it's not bind weed! Thanks again!
      xx

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,986
      The berries are poisonous,, but there have been no reported deaths from eating them. The effect is supposed to be like chewing a mouthful of needles, so no one, not even the most determined of child or animal is going to eat more than one. Still, all you need to do is remove the flowers when they appear.

• Like Like x 2
      • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Also nicknamed Willy Lily because the flowers are rather rude. I'd dig it up and offer it on Freecycle, or even Ebay if you have the brass neck, as many people think it is a very decorative native species, good for shade gardens. Plenty of people selling the seed on Ebay.

• Like Like x 3
        • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
          Ratings:
          +10,739
          You'll need to dig them out rather than try to pull them up.
          If you pull them up, the leaves will just break off, leaving the bulbs behind to produce more growth.

They're not too difficult to dig up, but the bulbs can be quite deep in the ground, usually about 6 to 8 inches in my experience.

We dug several of these out of our borders at work last spring, I found the best method is to sink a spade vertically in the ground to full depth alongside the plant, then gently lever the bulb out of the ground to avoid snapping off the leaves (which makes it much harder to find the bulb).

As Palustris says, you will find a number of smaller bulbs attached to the main bulb, so make sure you get rid of these too.

Any small ones you do leave behind will try to regrow, but just hoe them off as soon as the leaves re-appear throughout the spring and that should get rid of them. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
          • Elliegreenwelly

Elliegreenwelly Gardener

Ratings:
            +3
            Thanks all, I'll have a go at digging them up this weekend - if you want them send me your address!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,483
            You don't need to worry. They're not particularly invasive and some people like them.

It's quite easy to keep it under control and eradicate it. Just a bit of vigilance and digging will sort it out.

Having said that, we have some areas that we keep it cultivated and under control but we have the variegated version that is quite attractive.

If you have the space and the right conditions it can look good. Ours is in a sort of woodland area with ferns and other shade loving plants.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
            • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,986
              They may not be invasive in your garden Shiney, but they are in mine. The variegated ones are just as bad at self seeding as the plain ones.
              This plant is the one reckoned to have the most common names of all the native plants. Most of them refer to the shape of the spathe and calyx.

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,483
              Hi Pal,
              They certainly can be invasive and seed well but I find them quite easy to keep under control. A twice yearly dig around the area keeps the whole lot contained and the seedlings are pulled up as they appear. Of course, I don't have as large an area as you do that needs keeping tidy. It always amazes me how you manage it. :love30:

• Elliegreenwelly

Elliegreenwelly Gardener

Ratings:
              +3
              Shiney, they look lovely there but not under my apple tree! I did actually think the berry spikes looked quite interesting last year but not happy to have them around in the garden, sound nasty, might stop the dog eating plants though :)

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              I've liked them ever since I inherited them at my last house. I lacked the courage to bring any with me when I moved though!

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,483
              When ours seed the pheasants seem to find them quite tasty. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
              • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,978
                I agree, I have a patch or two in a shady woody part of the garden and kept in check they are quite handsome. Yours look really nice.
                I've a few 'weeds' that I like in my garden including a matricara of some sort and Centurea Montana. They both spread if you let them but a good hoeing and a bit of pulling keeps them within bounds and looking quite nice.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,998
                Arum italicum subsp. italicum 'Marmoratum'

[​IMG]
                [​IMG]

Spear shaped leaves with silvery white veins from winter through to spring. A lovely winter foliage plant - mixes well with Hellebores and early bulbs - snowdrops etc.
                Grows in sun or partial shade. A good filler when other plants are dormant.
                Height up to approximately 30cm.
                Pricing

Item nameCodePrice (GBP)Price shown includes VAT @ 20.%Arum italicum subsp. italicum 'Marmoratum'9cm£3.25

169 other products in category: Herbaceous »

That can give you an idea of what to do with it.........ebay ; )

• Like Like x 1