1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Website Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by rosa, Oct 28, 2009.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi all these past few days everytime i go on a website for instance, shops like argos etc, e-bay half the picture dissapears and my pc plays up then from my mouse i get a circle that spins around and i cant get any further so i have to keep re starting my pc, does anyone know how i can correct this problem or why is this happening.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Are you on Windows and using Internet Explorer?

I've seen this when the network is slow. What is your internet connection like? Are you on wireless or good old wired broadband? (I presume you're not still on dial-up).

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi clueless ive got windows vista and my bt helped me get on broadband when i bought this new pc and its through internet explorer, boxes keep coming up also that internet explorer is having problems and im on wired broadband

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,343
    Just a shot in the dark here from someone who doesn't know much about computers. :)

Do you have Nero on your computer? That can be used for showing pictures and whilst it is loading it brings up a spinning circle in the centre of the screen.

good luck

5. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Have you scanned for viruses?

What are the boxes that keep coming up?

As an experiment, you could switch off the option to automatically show pictures in IE. You do this by going to Tools->Internet Options in IE, then click 'Advanced' and you will see a load of options in sections. In the Multimedia section there will be an option called 'Show pictures'. If you click that so it is not ticked, then click OK to the box, then try a few troublesome websites and see if it still freezes. You can easily enough switch the option back on afterwards.

If you have spyware removal software, I'd run that too. Clearing your internet cache might help, but will mean you'll have to remember all your logins for any websites you use.

If you do a google search for 'check my broadband speed' you will find numerous websites that do what it says on the tin, they will basically check how fast your connection is. I can't recommend one though because I've only used a couple and it was a long time ago.

If your connection has slowed down, that shouldn't cause your whole machine to freeze though. That is more common when you access a website that has badly coded dynamic content in it, and usually your machine will tell you after a time what is causing the delay ("A script is taking a very long time to run...").

Another possible is that your router (your broadband hub) is tired. Sometimes simply disconnecting power from the router for about 10 seconds sorts that out, but sometimes the routers actually become faulty.

The quality of the phone line can also have a massive impact. The way internet connections work, without getting too techy, is that if some of the data comes through corrupt, the system will just request it again and again until it gets it. That's not an IE thing, that happens in the underlying system so it can cause go-slows and freezes.

I'd say in terms of your own diagnostics, you can get as far as switching the router off for a few seconds and back on (and all the bits I mentioned leading up to that). If there is still a problem after all that, then I guess you'd have to phone BT and get them to do a line test.

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    clueless thanks for the info and shiney, ive had line trouble before and i contacted bt i do disconnect everything and put it back on, its not my broadband speed thats fine.dont think ive got nero shiney
    i was just uploading pics and this came up
    internet explorer closed this webpage so i lost tinypic and gc then
    A malfunction or malicious add on has caused internet explorer to close this web page.
    my spyware etc is fine it stated everything is ok

7. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Wish I could help mate but I think you're going to have to contact BT again. Where did you get your PC from? Perhaps you could phone their helpline or even the PC manufacturers. Hope you get it sorted soon.

cheers

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Could still be your connection - do you know how far you are from the exchange? One of my sisters has unending such problems because she is about 2 miles from her exchange. It's like power - the longer the extension cable, the more the power diminishes.

The other thing I'd suggest is to try FireFox or Opera. They have significantly less problems than IE.

One more - try doing a Ctrl+Alt+Delete. In the pop-up box first click on the Performance tab and see if your CPU is running at 100% while this is happening. If it is, then it could be responsible for the delayed downloads. Click on the Processes tab and click twice on the heading "Mem Usage". This shows up what is responsible for most of the usage. If it's anything other then IE, System or Outlook.exe it could possibly be a trojan and needs to be cleaned out by SpyBot Search and Destroy.

You should also down load and run CCleaner on a regular basis as this cleans out all the rubbish (it was originally called C-r-a-p Cleaner (tsk tsk!) but out of an abundance of discretion, they changed it to Ccleaner!)

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi borrowers i got my pc from pc world last december so its pretty new, its not bt i had called them and my broadband is fine its internet explorer that keeps coming up with boxes.
    daisees thanks for info, bt exchange is just down the road 5 mins away, ive just had internet explorer back up again this time it had something to do with java not working properly so i uninstalled java dont know why i ever had java on my system see what happens after this

10. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Java can cause freezes from time to time. Java is used in some web apps, and is slow as a geriatric snail, but I doubt that would cause the trouble you are experiencing.

I'd go with Daisees's suggestion and try FireFox. It will still freeze if there is an underlying problem as both FireFox and IE use the same low level system stuff to talk to the internet, but it will narrow it down to either a system wide software or hardware issue or an IE specific issue.

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    since i got rid of java it hasnt been as bad, i dont like firefox tried it before, i never had all this problem till i changed my pc to vista and bt said i would have to go through internet explorer when they got me up and running on broadband.

12. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Really? I didn't think they were allowed to do that, as that is giving unfair advantage to a particular company (MS). I thought they could only do that if they could demonstrate a genuine technical reason for it, such as if it used a lot of proprietary software and it would not be commercially viable to support other systems.

Its good to know that, I'll have to avoid BT if I ever switch providers, as I don't use Windows at home, and even if I did, I wouldn't use IE:)

13. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rosa :D

Have you tried "Reset" your Internet Explorer ? If no then do the following.

Open IE, Go to "Tools" on your IE Menu Bar, which should be under the Address bar.

Then go down to Internet Options and click on the Advanced "Tab" Their you will see a Button that says: Restore Advanced Settings. Click on it.

Then look a little further down and you sill see another button "Reset" click on it

A new box should open.....here you can click in the box where it says "delete personal settings". This will reset your IE back to factory settings. Please bear in mind, it Will Delete all your History, Cookies, Internet Temporary Files, etc.....

It will also remove any 3rd party tools bars that you may have installed in your Internet Explorer. Please note: Tools bars and 3rd party addons may cause your Internet Explorer to "Hang", "Crash",

Let me know how you get on :D

John

14. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I don't think the guy knows what he is talking about. I don't use BT (I worked for them for 12 years), but if I decided to change back to BT and got told that I would be going for his supervisor. As I don't use Windows it would be impossible to use Internet Explorer.

You can use whatever browser you like, don't be mislead into thinking you have to use any particular one.