1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help -Weed problem

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by andrew campbell, May 22, 2020.

1. andrew campbell

andrew campbell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I was hoping someone could help me. I installed a patio area a few years back with a chipped border. And every spring there a certain type of weed that comes through. It’s really tough to get rid of and tend to die off around autumn. My question is does anyone know the names of this, and how to treat it to prevent it coming back. I’ve uploaded picture with it shooting and the end result. Much appreciated, thanks Andrew upload_2020-5-22_6-41-34.jpeg

2. dld2s

dld2s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Andrew, the first one I dont really know but may be horsetail, at this stage I think this is where they release spores? but have had a couple of them grow between pavior and flags too, I basically use weedkiller on them, but yes they come back.

The second picture i am pretty sure is Horsetail/Marestail, in fact I was on a week or so ago asking about them as I had young ones sprouting and wasn't 100% per cent if they were horsetail

Looking further in to the horsetail treatment, Glyosphate seems to be the preferred treatment, I used Resolva extra strong as it was all I could get and it worked (I can usually get Glyoshpate professional stuff, but lock-down has snookered me for that at the moment)

But by all accounts it's not a case of sticking on weedkiller and thats it, you need to try and keep killing as they come through and seemingly it can take up to 3 to 4 year to get bad infestations under control?

I'm pretty new to this, but I'm sure some of the more experienced and knowledgible folk will update to confirm or correct my info if wrong?

Link to my post Solved - Weed or Not?

PS: put in a search on how to kill horsetail weeds and it will take you to plenty of websites ((being new to forum I cant post external links)

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: May 23, 2020