1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with elderly rose bush

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Dpk, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Dpk

Dpk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Guys

Having got on top of the back garden after a number of years of neglect, not deliberate just elderly relatives at long distance needing help, we have had to do a bit of surgery on the front hedge to open it up to make a few repairs on a leaning wall.

inside the hedge is a very old rose. its been there for years before we moved in 20 odd years ago. anyway it has been growing through the hedge.

I'm after some advice on what to do with it and when. do we prune it right back finished flowering? Its also a bit confused this year as it has been known to still be in flower in October. it does look very strange without the hedge round it. Pictures below.

20200621_165926.jpg 20200621_165946.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,883
      Good evening @Dpk my friend if it were me I would wait until Its in its dormant state Nov/Feb that way with just the canes left you will be able to see which canes you need to prune back and how far,that way you can control the way ie (Height and direction)your beautiful Rose will grow,This is what I respectfully suggest,hope this helps:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dpk

Dpk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks Wiseowl

That is just what we were thinking leave it till later in the year and decide what shape we would like it to be.

with the other roses in the garden we normally cut them back quite short as there is a lot room around them. with this rose the bottom cane is about 3 inches across. Is it ok to leave a bit of height on the bottom canes or would it be better to cut back quite a lot. we are planning on leaving the border without hedge and only planting a few shrubs in it.

thanks again

Doug

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,883
          Good morning @Dpk my friend my advice is that I would (when the time is right)would be not to leave them to high as you can see by your lovely images above in your initial post ,that this leads to all the blooms growing at the top of the Rose and just bare canes at the bottom,I would prune back to (2 ft/24 inches/60 centimetres) ,it might seem a little drastic to you but it won't harm the Rose at all,and then you can control your Rose and dictate how you want it to grow,hope this helps:smile:

ps.please make sure your secateurs are clean;)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +745
            As above also add some well rotted manure in the autumn/ spring. I put horse manure on mine simply because there was thinking years ago that this was the best stuff to use. Some of mine need a prune.