Help with Golden False Acacia (Robinia)

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Lydia Ghazali, Aug 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lydia Ghazali

Lydia Ghazali Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, need some help with gardeners out there. We have a juvenile Golden False Acacia (or Robinia) in our garden which was first planted by a previous owner. We had a tree surgeon come look at this last year, said we could wait one year to get it to cut back. There was some dry rot at the bottom which he confirmed it can be reviewed again and it is still safe, but we will of course need to look at this more now ie affecting soil, plants near by etc. We are not experienced gardeners.

Our current main concern at the moment is that the tree was planted in a windy spot and with today's high winds it is swinging alot. It is over 5m height / 3 storeys high (had grown so quickly this year from last year - perhaps the weather?) and I am worried whether this is a hazard. We are getting tree surgeon in again next week but in the meantime with these high winds we are feeling uncomfortable. I don't know how secure the roots are and how they were planted. Any advise on this?

We started trimming it a bit, but stopped because it might change the weight distribution of the tree and maybe it is not the right time for them to be cut back.....Our neighbour was also worried about this as it is next to her garden boundary wall.

Thanks in advance for any advise/recommendations/thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • HarmonyArb

HarmonyArb I know sh!t about trees

Arborist
      Ratings:
      +247
      Hi Lydia

Sorry I'm late to the party and providing a reply. Have you had your second tree surgeon in? If so I'd like to know their thoughts / actions. I think the first guy is pulling terms out of thin air - Dry rot? Need pics!

• Like Like x 1
      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        Hi Lydia,

" 5 metres = 3 storeys "

Do you live with a lot of dwarves or hobbits :roflol:

1 storey is generally around 4 metres high.

• Like Like x 1
        • Lydia Ghazali

Ratings:
          +2
          Hello, we've had two companies come and look at our tree. They have provided options for both - to prune and also to take out the tree. Both have said it looks like the rot is improving and the tree is trying to reinforce itself. It is still very sturdy and understand that these are strong trees. We have decided to take the tree down to half due to cost and reassess on a yearly basis.

I think if we continuously keep an eye on it, then should be ok?

• Lydia Ghazali

Ratings:
          +2
          Opps ..sorry. I mistyped I think when I was in a panic. The tree is 3 stories high and actually our building insurance says we can't have trees of a certain height so close to the building so we then made a decision to prune back the tree and we will keep an eye on it on a yearly basis.

• Friendly Friendly x 1