1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Help with identifying weed

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Bournemouth Gardener, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Bournemouth Gardener

Bournemouth Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +47
    image.jpg Can someone please tell me the name of this weed. It is totally destructive and I can't get rid of it. Thank you...

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,156
    It's difficult to see on your photo but my feeling is Horsetail.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bournemouth Gardener

Bournemouth Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +47

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,156
      Aye it is very tough, looks like you have it coming up through tarmac, I've seen it break through concrete !

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      It's a beggar to get rid of - it invaded my previous garden.
      It can be treated with a weedkiller containing glysophate (allegedly).
      Horsetail/marestail has a waxy coating, so, you need to bruise it before applying any weedkiller so it can be absorbed.
      It will take a number of applications though and, if I am really honest, I lived in my previous property for 4 years and I never was able to irradicate it (not helped by a neighbour who was not a gardener and boasted of how much of it he had in *his* garden :doh: )
      Don't let my 4 year experience put you off though, people have had success with weedkiller on it; maybe I simply wasn't focussed enough? :scratch: :noidea: But, bear in mind if you have neighbours with it and they are not treating it, you will have a battle on your hands for sure :grphg:

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      Yup. M is right - they are indeed horses tails and a real swine to get rid of. They keep coming back and back.

His advise is spot on - you need to bruise the plants because they have a waterproof coating and weedkiller of just rolls straight off. I use a pair of pliers to crush the leaves/bristly bits but be careful with the stems as they snap off very easily. I spray them with Bayer Super Strength weed killer, which is 66% Glyphosate and it tends to get rid of them for a while.

There's little point in trying to dig 'em out because the roots are known to go down a metre or even two! And to add insult to injury they reproduce by shedding millions of spores. For info, they are amongst the most ancient of plants and have changed little in over 400 millions years or so because they are just so damn tough they don't need to adapt.

They are one of the worst weeds to eradicate from flower beds and hopefully you're lucky enough to have them just growing in your path - and even then it can be tough. Best of luck!