1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help with lawn weeds

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by charve16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. charve16

charve16 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Firstly I'm new here and haven't got that much experience with gardening.

I have these brown flowery weeds on my lawn.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    They have been there for a while but have now increased in numbers. I have been using an all in one weed/moss kill, grass feed about twice per year but they appear to be getting worse recently.

I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it, any advice would be great

Thanks, Chris

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • charve16

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi JWK,
      I wouldn't have said lawn was waterlogged, although the area where it is worse can become a bit squidgy over the winter months.

Thanks for your advice, I'm glad to know what it is and how to treat it.

How often should I sacrify and aerate? would you do this in addition to using moss kill?

Thanks again

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Good ID John :blue thumb: Never seen anything like that , looks a bit scary to find in your lawn ! Good luck with the treatment Charve .

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,062
      Twice a year max, certainly after using the moss killer - wait a couple of weeks then you can rake out the dead moss. I would do it in the spring when grass is growing strongly. I wouldn't do it now, it will takes weeks to recover and can look a proper mess after scarifying. For aerating you need the soil to be wet, it's very difficult during the summer if your soil has dried out to get the tines into the ground.

• Like Like x 1
      • charve16

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks again for your advice

• charve16

Ratings:
        +0
        whilst waiting on the proper tools arriving I have been aerating the lawn with a garden fork. the top few inches are pretty wet although not saturated at the surface, below about 3/4 inches the soil appears to be pretty compacted.

I think it's started when my neighbour put it a double fence which blocks out the sun at the worse affected area (about 1 metre wide strip at the top of the garden) until the evening.