1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help with replanting hazel tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Debz, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Debz

Debz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have recently moved a 3 year old hazel tree from my mothers house to mine, but its looking very wilted and not too happy. I have given it loads of compost and lots of water... will it get better? can i help it? please help with any suggestions...I cant loose this tree.

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Not really the right time for moving, but thats no help to you now....keep it well watered and also spray the leaves every day with water and keep everything crossed

3. Debz

Debz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I really didnt want to move it at all- but it was either that or loose it.

Some of the leaves are drying up but some look fine- is this a good sign? I am pressuming the driest ones will fall off and re grow?

Continuing to water lots and cross fingers!

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes the dry leaves will fall off and it is a very good sign if some are looking normal...spraying the leaves with water will help prevent too much water loss through transpiration until the new roots get going (avoid spraying in full sun though)

5. Debz

Debz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hey everyone.
    i cut the tree right back last year. now there is only a sort of 3ft high trunk- not very thick (the rest was dead). i water it every other day, has great sunlight. I even talk to it and stroke it!
    is there anything else i can do?

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry Debz, if you cut off the whole of the top because it was dead, the chances are that it is or is now. One way to see is to scrape some of the bark away at the base, and see what colour it is underneath. If its green there is some life still there - but whether it will regrow????.