Help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spewy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Spewy

Spewy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

You may find this post strange for a gardening site but here goes -

I want to kill everything that grows in my garden. I inherited a very nice garden from the previous owners, but i just didn't have the time or know how to maintain it as it had been. Several years have past now, and I admit that all i do is keep it as tidy as i can.
    As you folks will know that is difficuly due to weeds.
    I have a few areas where i have just soil and rocks which looks tidy enough ( apart from the weeds ) and a drive with slabs and chips.

Suppose the short question is how do i stop the weeds perminently?

Much appreciate your replies.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Bottom line, you can't short of concreting over the whole area - not the most pleasing sight.

What do you want from your garden space - cos that will kinda decide what you do next?.

3. Spewy

Ratings:
    +0
    Fran,

Just want as easy a life as possible. Will most likely lift the slabs etc
    So a very strong weed killer would do for now.
    Can you recommend something?

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, there are many longterm weedkillers available, none of them ecologically friendly. They usually claim to last about 6 months There are also ones like sodium chlorate, [showing my age here, not even sure if you can still buy it] which will poison the soil for ages. What about planting slow growing conifers, lots of low growing ones will smother weeds, with a few taller for contrast? Please don't kill everything!

5. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Andy
    Go to a garden centre and get a 5L container of Glyphosate/Tumbleweed, call it what you like, with a little water pistol attached. It will cost about �£15.
    Walk around your patch, once a fortnight, and give a little squirt onto everything green you don't want. Its not too late to start now. In the winter months you can make it every 4 weeks. It works on everything from pine trees, brambles, woody things, nettles, dandylions, the lot. By next summer you will have a brown desert. Honest. And the soil won't be poisoned. Then you can plan your garden.
    Nik

6. Spewy

Ratings:
    +0