Help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Paulabear, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Paulabear

Paulabear Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly thank you all for the site and the chance of some good advice. As far as gardening goes I am an accident waiting to happen and has happened several times so far. To encourage growth and colour this year instead of death and destruction I planted a couple of packets of "sow and grow" which has produced a very colourful border all summer. I have also managed out of the whole lot to identify 1 flower which is a very large, very red poppy. Is it possible to collect seeds from these and re-plant them next year and if so, how would I go about that and when.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Poppies are usually really good self seeders (depending on the variety) and the seeds last for years. Can you describe the leaves of this one - cos there is always the chance that is one of the perrennials.

If not - then then it should form a seed pod, wait til that is fully formed and starting to show it drying, pick and upend in a paper bag or envelope in a dry indoor room. The pod when dry will open at the top and the seeds will then shake out.

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I've got a huge packet of seed I collected from 'opium' poppies that were growing semi-wild in my garden when I moved in. I did it as Fran suggested but went a little over board!

I sowed some by scattering them in the garden and haven't had to sow anymore because they've self seeded - like crazy!! Just as well I love them!

4. Paulabear

Paulabear Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the replies, I will take a closer look at them on my next day off and let you know the results. I remember my mother planting poppies when I was very young. The following year next doors garden was full of them and my mother had none, she was furious but now I realise that as they are self seeding, the wind must have blown all the seeds through the fence!
    I would also like to ask if anyone can recommend a good gardening book or magazine for complete beginners? I did buy Gardening World a few times but the termnology was beyond me.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The first book I ever had when I first started out was a Readers Digest Gardening encyclopaedia - explained everything. Not sure if they still do them - but it was great then when I knew nothing and didn't have something like this forum. The RHS gardening encyclopadia is prolly the same - visit your local garden centre and browse a copy and see.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,333
    I've still got my R D Gardening Encyclopaedia here with me now, dont use it much any more, but it was great source of knowledge some years ago to me.
    Paulabear, the termonology comes to you after a while without you realising it, you tend not to notice you've picked up a lot of new words and start to use them. Can get you some strange looks sometimes. Mind you there's always alot more to learn. :D [​IMG]