1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hemerocallis Bonanza

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steph, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Steph

Steph Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a beautiful day-lily, it has only just come into flower (literally, today) and already it's covered in little black beetles (maybe 5mm).
    Last year I had the same problem and couldn't get rid of them. They flower without problem but swarm to you if you dare to wear yellow in the garden!
    Can anyone tell me what they are and how to get rid of them?

2. BobsFuchsias

BobsFuchsias Gardener

Security
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Steph.
    Could be lily beetle [Lilioceris lilii] adult beetles overwinter in plant debris move onto lilies May/June time, females lay around 200/300 eggs, eggs hatch a week later feed for a month then purpate in the soil.
    Treatment is a contact insecticide in Spring and repeat if infestations persists, problem with that is most have been taken off the market [Malathion, Resmethrin, HCH]
    Bob

3. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

Most likely "flea beetles", when they sow oil seed rape in the fields around our allotments we have plagues of them that season.

They love raddishes as well as turnips and swedes though not norweigens!

Use an insectide to control them!

Cheers!

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi from what you have said its pollen beetle its harmless and like its names states it only eating the pollen if you have had oil sed rape growing by you they move into the gardens looking for food.
    You have also mentioned its a daylily Hemerocallis ?? , if so.... the red lilly beetle does not feed or effect daylily.

I would be careful spraying flowers as not good for the bees and other beneficial insects

Hope this helps

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Pollies Daylilies

Pollies Daylilies Gardener

Semi retired Accountant, owner Pollies Daylilies
      Ratings:
      +57
      Hi Steph

I'm with Spruce there. We are organic and the rewards are so great if you do not spray. They are completely harmless and are just feeding. They seem to be attracted more to the yellow spectrum. We have hundreds of daylilies and we put up with them here:yawn:.

Best, Pollie

• Like Like x 1
      • Steph

Steph Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        I looked at pictures on Google of all the suggestions and they are pollen beetles, I do have the occasional Lily beetle as I also have standard Lilys but thank you for all your suggestions
        SX