1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hen vent pecking problem

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by joolz68, Feb 7, 2014.

1. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    Im having a horrid week with my hens,it came to my attention when i found a blood stained egg,i thought a hen had prolapse ,i bathed her behind,sudocremed& purple sprayed ect and put her in sick bay coop..bless she still laid an egg:sad:
    Then i received another blood stained egg,well i knew it wasnt her as she was in sick bay,so half an hr skating around in mud trying to catch and check them all i find another bloody butt :gaah:..so 2 with prolapse:scratch:(cleaned up and sick bay with the other) 2 days of gooling brain ache!
    Well then i got another red egg:gaah::gaah::sad:
    So after gooling so more and watching the coop its definately a hen thats vent pecking the others....How to solve it i have no idea:sad::sad:
    Ive removed the poorly ones to recover but i know another hen is going to be the next victim,do i cull the hen i think is doing it? could it be too late as other hens have picked up on this behaviour? would removing the hen solve the problem?is it down to the weather and lack of greens?
    Ive up their protein just in case(asda got tuna on sale :blue thumb:)
    Ive been digging worms and turning the ground over to keep them busier:)
    I feel defeated and im sure i will have deaths on my hands soon :sad:
    Thanks for listening x

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Awww joolz that's nasty...have you got any Violet spray....i'll send you some if you haven't :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Thanks loli,yeah purple spray i call it :) im the only woman in derbyshire i think with purple chickens,ive been using it to deter feather pecking whilst some have been moulting aswell...but obviously didnt work,just redirected to other parts of them :gaah:
      I wish i had the answer but it seems like there is none on the internet or with commercial hens,il prob just have to keep juggling them around so they are concentrating on pecking orders and not each other :dunno:x

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      The problem is once they've seen blood they can get quite nutty and not give up attacking....here's one to try...i've heard feeding cat food for a while might work....i've never tried it myself but it's worth a go:blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,385
        There a strange breed arnt they..love meat :heehee:Minature Trex!!
        I will add some cat meat aswell thanks:blue thumb:,they should be getting enough protein with their diet already and the one i think is pecking does not have a feather missing,shes only 40 week old!
        I think because the ground is wet they cant scratch as much so boredom as set in,ive been spreading easibed(chopped straw) around for them but the rain is beating me :sad: i cant find another reason,theyve all been happy last yr until now:dunno:
        Hows are your lot doing loli? x
        I picked my hen i named loli to check her vent for wounds and she is a reet heavy compared to the others!and shes still boss :blue thumb: still ive never seen her lay an egg :heehee:x

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        You're not kidding Joolz....
        I keep flinging sunflower seeds and allsorts down in their run to keep them occupied to save my lawn with it being so soggy:rolleyespink:
        Mine seem happy enough but only one is laying....three days it takes me to get a decent sponge cake:biggrin:....i'm putting it down to the time of year and we have foxes here every night that could be unsettleing them too but come Spring i'm expecting great things from them:blue thumb:

Just mention Mr Cameron...it works for me:gaah: works for me:heehee:....

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +421
        Please don't think I rude but if you know where the fox,s are coming through your hedge or fence get some male urine and spread it where they come trough. They hate the smell of male's ,this tip was passed on to me by a game keeper who had found some one who had set snare,s for them in a hedge bottom. All though he was a keen fox hunter he could not bare to see then killed like this.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,385
          I make darran do the spraying of the pee sometimes :heehee:x
          So keep your trollys up loli @Lolimac :heehee:x

• Funny Funny x 2
          • SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
            +105
            We stopped feeding our chickens meat when they were really agressive with each other. Seems to have worked as they all have a full set of feathers now

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            I had a vent-pecker - well, I say that, Coco just seemed particularly prone to nibbling Tracey Beaker's vent! (They came to me as a pair) Once TB went to the Big Coop in the sky, Coco was put with my other girls and never "vented" her angst again. (Actually, she died of natural causes last week).

That is my only experience of a vent-pecker - and yes, I did the purple spray and another, brown stinky, vomit inducing gloop as well! Coco was oblivious to the merits of them all.

@fileyboy Unfortunately, the male urine isn't infallible - my ducks were all taken by Mr Fox a couple or three weeks ago .. and I made a religion out of putting some urine in the compost bin (as an accelerator) which should have doubled as Eau-De-Foxy-Repellent. And I have a large canine who regularly "waters" around the perimeter. :noidea:

@joolz68 , how are things now?

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +421
            Hi M.Re reading my post on fox's and urine,sorry I should have said fresh male urine. Maybe this is why yours did not work as it would have been diluted in the compost,But as you say in a compost heap it is good to get the compost going .I have also heard this advice from a farmer who hated fox's but could not bare to see them die in a snare and he did this trick but stated fresh urine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
              So sorry to hear that M,youve had a terrible time,so many loses :cry3::cry3:xx
              Mine stopped vent pecking but are still plucking the backs of about 4,they seem ok,i keep spraying still.
              No idea how lilac lived her inside were hanging out!
              Hope your ok xx

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1