Herb Insect damage, need help

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by AntoniaKrz, Jul 7, 2018.

1. AntoniaKrz

AntoniaKrz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I am new to plants so I'm not entirely sure what to do. Of course being herbs, I don't want to spray chemicals of any sorts onto them to kill the insects. The herbs I have in a long pot include; Purple Sage, Hot & Spicy Oregano, Moroccan Mint, Yellow Thyme and Rosemary. I am planning to move the Sage and Rosemary into bigger pots or into the garden at some point.

I know I have leaf hoppers, they started off on the Sage but they're now on all plants (I think). There may be some spider mites, because in the Thyme there is some very fine wispy webbing. I was thinking of purchasing some Lace wings for this problem. Do you think that will work?

Also, am I still able to consume these plants if properly washed etc..? I'm quite sceptical so I've only been picking leaves without damage on to consume. There is no damage on the sage (although the sage was attacked by powdery mildew at first which I have managed to handle with milk and water for the time being, I also think the hot weather at the moment has slowed it down from returning)

IMG_3174.JPG IMG_3181.JPG IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3190.JPG

Any other advice I will appreciate greatly, thanks :SUNsmile:

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    I think that is damage caused by thrips.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    Check the back of the leaves with a magnifying glass.. You say you already have spider mite and the leaf damage from both thrips and mites can look similar

4. AntoniaKrz

AntoniaKrz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't have a magnifying glass, but if they are Thrips how do I get rid of them? thanks