1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbaceous perennials- plant now or wait til next year?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by waiting for the weather, Sep 24, 2011.

1. waiting for the weather

waiting for the weather Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Morning all :)

I've got a number of herbaceous perennials I've been given that have been in their pots for most of this year. I'm wondering whether it's best to plant them now, or wait til next spring?

(And if I didn't get chance to get them in today, the next chance would be around October 8th- if that happened, would you plant them in early October, or wait until next spring?)

Any thoughts really appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    I would do it now while we seem to be having an Indian summer! :thumbsup:

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi what are they ?? would depend if I plant now or Spring, plus they need winter protection cold frame greenhouse or a warm wall . But generaly now or October the 8th is a good time to plant as the soil is warm and usualy more rain the plants actualy will root away quite quickly

so let us know what you have we will give you more detail about each one .

Spruce

4. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I'm in the same situation, I have a lot of perennials that I have got for free or grown from seed.

I have just starting clearing the area where they are going - a dead bush has been cleared and the weeds too, so now it just needs digging over and the soil improving and I'm planting away :thumb:, I have even more confidence that they will root well before the winter with the warm weather we're getting and has been forecast for the next week or so...:thumbsup: