1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Here come the Daylilies

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by simbad, Jun 7, 2011.

1. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Thought I'd start a new thread for this, don't want to clog up the whats flowering in June with all my pictures, know Spruce has quite a few too(that I want:WINK1:), exciting time this year as sooo many of my new ones have scapes they really seem to be loving the weather, although a bit more rain would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    This is an unamed variety but great little plant, only grows to around 1ft tall with 2-3inch flowers but flowers for weeks.

• Like Like x 13
    • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,318
      [​IMG]
      'Bali Hai' lovely older variety, gorgeous glittery gold edge.
      Breeder: Wild 1974
      Dormant foliage
      Height: 1ft 10inch
      Flowers size: 5inch

• Like Like x 9
      • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,318
        [​IMG]
        'Inner View', one of my all time favourites, diamond dusted too which doesn't show on the photo(a strange coating that some daylilies have that make them glisten in the sun).
        Breeder : Morss 1982
        Evergreen foliage
        Height:2ft 2inch
        Flowers size:61/2inch

• Like Like x 10
        • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,318
          Did have another one today 'Outrageous' but the flippin magpies have a thing about the bright coloured ones(new this year too:cry3:) and pecked the head of it grrr, and this was very bright, oh well 1 more bud lets hope I get a picture before they see it.

• Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +81
          Your day lilies are gorgeous Simbad. I remember them from last year. I have 1 or 2 and they do a great job for me. Unfortunately I don't have room for any more so keep posting the pics so that I can enjoy yours.

• Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
          +400
          Lovely Simbad, i have one daylily and hoping it will flower for the first time this year. I am hoping to buy a spider daylily next, but i will have to do a bit of research about these first.:)

• bambooruth

bambooruth Gardener

gardener
          Ratings:
          +313
          och i just dig out more lawn :dbgrtmb: always room for 1 more

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,318
          Thanks everyone I'll keep posting as they open, always love showing them off, sooo photogenic.
          Pixie I love the spiders too and do have quite a few, the best one by far last year was 'Yabba Dabba Doo' still flowering in late september, just kept sending up more and more scapes, a great site to buy them from is www.polliesdaylilies.co.uk she holds the national collection of spider and unusual forms, lovely lady very helpful I've had lots of great plants from her.
          Know the feeling Ruth the ever shrinking lawn:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
          • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,318
            [​IMG]
            'Peacock Maiden', not a perfect flower as took a couple of days to open, sure the next one will be better, just glad it has flowers as did think I'd lost this one last winter, huge flowers too.
            Breeder: Carpenter 1982
            Evergreen
            Height: 2ft 7inch
            Flower size: 91/2 inch

• Like Like x 13
            • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,318
              [​IMG]
              'Big Bird', one of my first ever daylilies and still love it,another really large flowered one.
              Breeder: Griesbach-Klehm 1978
              Dormant foliage
              Height:2ft 10inch
              Flower size: 7inch

• Like Like x 9
              • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,318
                [​IMG]
                'Cathys Sunset', lovely little mini one bred in this country rather than America, flowers only 2-3inch, my only complaint is the flowers aren't held above the foliage like most, still pretty though.

• Like Like x 8
                • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,318
                  [​IMG]
                  'G King' bought this one on impulse at a garden centre as never heard of it, can't find any information about it though, very fast increaser and very floliferous.

• Like Like x 7
                  • Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
                    +400
                    These are gorgeous Simbad. :dbgrtmb: I have my first daylilly bud, and i haven't actually seen the plant in flower, as it is a piece from my Mam's plant and i didn't see it flower last year - so can't wait. I do plan to get a spider daylilly sometime in the future when i can decide which one! :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +4,015
                      Absolutely lovely Simbad. :love30:

I suspect that I have asked you this before. Do you have any favorites, and are there any that flower for longer than others?

I have very little experience of Day Lilies, other than noting that they seem to be remarkably tolerant plants. I have some in the wettest part of my garden where they seem to be very happy. And I also have some in a large pot covering a manhole cover. The pot is set back, and isn't close to all the other pots that I have. The net result is that while I water all my pots essentially every day, I almost never water the pot with the DayLillies - but they never seem to suffer - they just keep going.

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,318
                      Great when they open for the first time Pixie, I was out there this morning in my dressing gown,lol, a new one is about to open and thought it may be open today, but not quite, yes so many beautiful spiders to choose from, I just want them all:heehee:.
                      Hi PeterS, my favourites tend to change from year to year as the new ones open, but must admit 'Destined to See' is a real favourite, did have a flower open yesterday but not a very good one so wait for a better one before I post, this could all change this year though as have around 30 new ones that should flower for the first time.
                      They are such brilliant plants not fussy as you say about soil conditions, just give them a sunny spot and they'll flower their socks off, not troubled by many pests or diseases the main one being gall midge but that only affects the early varieties, no sign here this year thank goodness, sure there'll be some but hoping I was vigilant last year picking off all the infected buds, only lost one plant over the winter and that was one I'd never seen in this country before so obviously not hardy enough for our climate, I do have a few favourite suppliers who trial them in our country before selling so like to mainly buy from them, think a lot of people still think that daylilies are yellows and oranges and don't realise how they've come on fairly recently, there are now so many colours and forms, spiders, ufo's, doubles, fancy eyes, just beautiful, a mature clump can flower for up to six weeks!!!!
                      There are quite a few now that rebloom so you can still have them flowering in September October if the weathers good, my best last year were 'Yabba Dabba Doo', 'Windmill' (quite and old variety) and 'Cameroons' they just kept sending up more and more scapes, a lot of my collection were fairly young last year so much bigger clumps now so see how they perform this year:)
                      Sorry I'm rambling a bit now:heehee:

• Like Like x 3