Hi all, new member with a few Q’s

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Evans8773, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Evans8773

Evans8773 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all

New to the forum and if the truth be told In the past have took much interest in the condition of my lawns. Yes I cut them when needed but that’s as far as it goes. This year I am making a concerted effort to get them into shape. So here goes.

My front lawn has quite a lot of moss (side of lawn in shade most of the day)and weeds in it. Where the moss sits is very spongy and in the hot weather ant hills appear every year without fail.

In the last few weeks I have watching lots of YouTube videos on how to get rid off moss etc. Last Friday I dethatched with a spring time rake, removing a wheelie bin full of moss and dead grass. I went over 3 times in different directions.

I then put down westlands lawn feed, moss and weed killer, my moss has turned black and next Saturday will be 14 days when I will rake out what I can. In my haste to do this I didn’t read the instructions properly and didn’t allow 4 days worth of grass growth before applying, I cut the grass the day before. I have always cut my grass on the lowest setting and now know that’s a no no.

So a few questions for you guys.

1. When I rake next weekend should all the moss come out or is that impossible
    2. What is the possible effect of applying with only 1 days growth.
    3. How long before the moss/weed killer is no longer effective so I can appply some overseed or lawn treatment to get it on its way to how I want it
    4. Do I need to be moss/weed free before overseeding

Sorry if some of the answers are obvious

Thanks in advance

Mark Evans

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,960
    Hello Mark, the idea of raking out the dead moss and thatch is to give the grass light and air. Once you've got bare soil showing, you can re-seed, assuming the weather's suitable. Min average temperature of 10C , reasonably damp. It can help to mix the grass seed with sharp sand as this gives better drainage. However, if the conditions that favoured moss in the first place stay the same, it will come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,310
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner Mark. :)

• Evans8773

Ratings:
      +5
      Hi thanks for the response. As this was the first time The grass has ever been dethatched in 18 years I have lived here, would I be right thinking that would be partly to blame ? 18years worth of debris creating a unfriendly canopy ?The worst area is up against a privot hedge and that bit is in the shade until about 3pm.

All being well I will rake up the dead moss next Saturday and wait until the applied moss/weed killer is no longer active which is 6 weeks from application according to westlands.

Then I will look to overseed with sand mixed with the seeds and once it’s established apply lawn feed moving forward.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
      • Evans8773

Ratings:
        +5

Thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Hi Mark ,

:sign0016:

Welcome to Gardeners Corner ☺

Sorry I can't help this time as I don't have a lawn, only a gravelled courtyard garden with pots/troughs and containers. You should get all the answers you need soon though ☺

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,310
            Mark, I think your lawn has done well to get to this point in 18 years. So I wouldn't think you'll have to much of a problem with moss in the future. Six weeks from now should be fine regarding seed germination but if you're seeding the whole lawn hold back on the lawn feed for a while, it may be better to leave it until next year. I don't feed in the first year of sowing as I find it makes the young grass outgrow it's strength, but it's your choice of course.

• Evans8773

Ratings:
            +5

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Evans8773

Ratings:
              +5

Thanks for the advice . I will overseed and get it established then look to start feeding next year..As for lawn seed is there any preference for UK lawns ?

Cheers

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,478
              Welcome to the forum ! Be happy you don't have to fight snow mold every year :)

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              Hello Mark and welcome to this friendly forum.

I am the first to admit. A good lawn sets off a garden. NO! I haven't got a lawn or grass area anymore. Mine went as soon as my two daughters left home. Having been taught to a very high professional degree the Science & Practice of Turf Culture. I would expect far too much.
              Whetherornot a lawn is plagued by moss or not the area does need and will benefit from at least an annual fine rake.
              To finally have that super perfect lawn can cost a bomb.
              Moss. This really is a pest. Why is the lawn plagued by it?. Despte being constantly treated, the moss seems to always win. I have known of instances where, everything else has failed, the top couple of inches of soil have been removed and fresh soil used. Suttons seeds now market a mixture of grass sed that is specially treated and germinates fast. Not tried by me but, I have heard that in some problem areas, oversowing with a mixture of grass seed and camomile makes for a good general sweet smelling lawn. Just a few bits and bobs. Enjoy your garden.

• Useful Useful x 1
              • Evans8773

Ratings:
                +5
                Thank you

• Evans8773

Ratings:
                +5

I will be dethatching again towards the end of the year as this is less stressful on the lawn apparently? As for the moss I have created it's perfect enviroment by always cutting on lowest setting and never dethatching for the 18 years I have lived here. The house used to be the mother in laws and I don't think it was ever done before then to be honest .

So the plan is to rake up all the dead moss next weekend and wait until I can overseed with some quality seed. I have borrowed a work colleagues aerator that spits out soil plugs and will do that before the seed goes down. I don't want or expect a perfect lawn, just something that if the moss returns it is under control and not allowed to dominate the lawn..

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
                • Evans8773

Ratings:
                  +5
                  Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,310
                    It depends on what you want from your lawn, how much footfall it gets, or whether it's in shade etc.

I'm not fussy and use a general purpose grass seed. In fact I've been using Johnson's General Purpose that I bought in B&M at a reasonable price. It germinates well and so far looks good.