Hi folks! Newbie needs a little advice...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daz, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Daz

Daz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, my name is Darren and I've just joined the site. I am fairly new to growing, and I figure it will be a valuable resource. I aquired an allotment at the start of the year, so will be growing a few bits and bobs during this year.

I actually have a question. I started some Sunflowers back at the end of January, and kept them indoors under a daylight lamp (16 hours a day). Well, daft old me decided to put them out in the greenhouse a few weeks ago, due to the weather being so nice. Unfortunately, I forgot to pay attention to the photo period outside, and 4 out of the 6 Sunflower plants are now flowering.

Do I just leave them? Will they revert to vegetative growth as the days get longer? Or should I nip off the buds? And if I nip them off, will this cause the plants to grow multiple heads?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Thanks in advance, Daz! :thumb:

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Hello Daz
    I would just leave them. They can go outside in the middle of May after the last frosts in your area. As the flower heads die just nip them off then , and you will get more flower heads forming. Normally I plant my seeds in early March. I love sunflowers , they are such a happy flower:). I grow them every year as a competition for the grand children , but they are really for me !:happydance:

• Like Like x 2
    • Daz

Daz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks Harry, I appreciate the info! I thought it would probably be best to just leave them to get on with, but wasn't really sure. I will leave them be and see what happens! Cheers, Daz. :thumb:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,124
      [​IMG] Darren.. It sounds like you are going to have a great growing year this year then.. Harry is right about your sunflowers I think.. I also grow them for my grandchildren & a few adopted ones too..! Laughing heart Happy growing mate & look forward to seeing you around the forums..

• Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
      Ratings:
      +112
      Hi Daz

Welcome to the forum. Don't apologise for asking questions mate. None of us know everything about gardening, but the combined membership is a huge pool of knowledge and experience. I am relatively new to gardening and found the members here very helpful. Lots of contributions from some very talented gardeners, many of whom have been of great assistance to me.

Good luck with your growing, look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Regards

Chopper.

• Daz

Daz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the welcome folks! Been down my allotment all weekend nearly (got the sunburn to prove it!), and have got a fair bit done. Am looking forward to getting some time to have a good read through the site and absorb lots of useful info...

Thanks again all! :)