1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi newbie here

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by xantia, Aug 4, 2017.

1. xantia

xantia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    hi all
    I have just moved house and have this large cordyline looking plant in the front garden that recently sprouted huge black growths with what look like chillies on the end? I'm a total novice so any help would be great. Do I cut these back? Remove the chillie things and plant them?? Any advice would be really helpful thank you

Attached Files:

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi Xantia! Looks like a phormium (or maybe a yucca, probably phormium) . Those are its flowers . My neighbours have a few and they're all flowering right now! Enjoy

3. xantia

Ratings:
    +10
    ah there were some flowers on that have now turned into those chilies! Do I just leave it alone completely then? It is quite large and they do protrude out towards the pavement a bit. Im concerned that they are a temptation for the school kids walking past to grab them etc!. Thanks so much :-)

4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Xantia, you can cut off those flower stems....look like thick sticks....right to the ground. You can also remove leaves if they are in the way, etc. You can divide phormiums too to keep them looking young and colourful. Every spring I remove up to half of the leaves. Tough, tough plant.
    Oh! Welcome to the forum Xantia. :)

5. xantia

Ratings:
    +10
    Brilliant thank you! My first post and so helpful! I'm sure I'll be pestering people with very simple questions over the coming months!!

• Like Like x 1
    • UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
      Ratings:
      +172
      We all were newbies and I doubt if any one of us could claim legitimately to know everything! And welcome from me too

• Like Like x 3
      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        :sign0016: xantia

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • xantia

Ratings:
          +10
          Well I chopped out the large growths as suggested and I wondered if these pods (if indeed that's what they are) can be used to germinate new plants out of curiosity?
          Thanks

Attached Files: