1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hide top of retaining wall

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dutch02, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Dutch02

Dutch02 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    55E2D75D-BE69-4C66-B2E9-3DCD57457E7A[​IMG] Hi guys,

We have a 8m retaining wall that runs a long the right hand side of our garden, next doors house is some way below ours so the wall
    Is ~4ft high.

However it has these unsightly bricks on top which look terrible. I’m looking for inspiration as to what to do to improve it.

I’m thinking either:

1) cut some patio tiles to size and lay then on top. Or

2) knock the bricks off, and use some sleepers to build a little flower bed all the way along.

does anyone else have any suggestions?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Are you allowed to knock the bricks off ?
    Dont think I'd want to tamper with that wall, but you can put something on top.

Would be good to have a border along there as well, you can then grow plants up the fence and it will make the grass easier to cut.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      I would suggest a border too, some ground cover plants would hide the bricks and some colourful climbers to hide the fence.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
        +438
        If the wall has any cracks you could grow Mexican wall daisies, Erigeron karvinskianus, in the cracks. Its roots will go deep into the wall so that once established it is drought tolerant.

It is the only flowers I can think of that will actually grow its roots into the wall itself. Some people have luck with getting the bellflowers, Campanula portenschlagiana or Campanula poscharskyana, to grow into wall cracks. I don't think Aubretia would actually root itself in a wall, there would need to be recesses in the bricks holding quite a lot of soil to grow it on top of a wall so it can cascade down the wall. Other people might understand these better than I do.

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
        • Dutch02

Dutch02 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +8
          Hi guys,

apologies for lack of updates, I ended up going with some trough containers (see attached)

i have no experience with growing in these so I don’t know how everything will grow. My concern is perhaps they get root bound at some stage? The drainage at the bottom seems very good though.
          A2C66695-580E-4037-B768-67FF76352B79

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Hi @Dutch02,

Looking at your first photo, to us the retaining wall has been improperly finished or has someone removed an existing capping to allow that fence to be put up flush to the wall ?

Those bricks and the mortar are simply too open and exposed and all the rain and frost will soon get in between and start to degrade the wall.
          As we know from experience, repairing or rebuilding a retaining party wall can be an expensive and sometimes problematic task.

If it was us, with your neighbours agreement, suggest you use some form of capping over the length of the wall , like the one below or a flat slab bedded at a slight angle to run the water off onto your lawn.

Putting the planters over the exposed brick will just lead to more water runing onto them but should be ok there if you capped the wall.
          Though understanding @ groundbeetle idea, you need to ensure plants do not root into the wall as that will equally loosen the mortar long term.

001129.jpg

• Like Like x 1