1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hiding Forums I'm not Interested in

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Kristen, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Just posting this before I embark on some work in case anyone already has a solution.

There are some forums here (and on some either sites I visit) that I have no interest in, and it would save me a bit of time if they were "hidden".

(I'm a computer programmer by trade, so technically I should be able to do this).

Anyway, unless anyone already has a solution that they could let me have I'm planning to try a Greasemonkey script (which is probably only a runner for FireFox I think), and specifically I think this one may fit the bill.

If you already have a fix I'd be grateful, thanks. If this is something that you would be interested in let me know. If you are not a geeky nerd then press NEXT !!

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Bingo!

Well that was easier than expected.

AFAIK This is only available for FireFox

1. Download and Install GreaseMonkey click the "Add to Firefox" button
    2. Restart firefox
    3. Install the vBulletin On-Topic script Click the INSTALL button on the Right
    4. Customise:
    • Tools : Greasemonkey : Manage user scripts
    • Highlight "vBulletin On-Topic" and click the Edit button
      • The first time you do this you will need to select your editor; this is a bit techie, and if you are not familiar with this best to navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ and select "notepad.exe"
    • Change the HIDDEN_FORUMS line to include the forums you want hidden, e.g.
    • var HIDDEN_FORUMS = new Array("Pets Corner", "The Muppet Show");
    • Just add more in that format - surround with quotes, with a comma between each. Make sure the spelling is exact and there are no extra spaces.
    Then click on the New Posts link and all the unwanted forums will be hidden.

:gnthb:

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Well done Kristen - nice to know that we have some computer expertise here.

I keep telling myself that I am going to write my own plant database program - but I never get round to it. I do like to have programs where I am in control and can make it do what I want. I used to write a bit in Delphi - purely as an amateur. Its such a nice language, and I am so sorry to see that it has virtually disappeared.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "I keep telling myself that I am going to write my own plant database program"

Shoot Gardening aims to have that cracked for you - just enter all the plants in your garden and away you go! I haven't looked at it for a year or more, but back then they didn't have many of the plants in my garden in their database, but they were adding to it so maybe it has more coverage now.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Shoot gardening data base is quite big now and growing all th time.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Shoot is pretty good now. Though I don't use it. But there is no substitute for having your own program, with your own pictures, collected together under your own categories or plants you have, would like, had but died etc.