1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hill House Nursery, Devon

Discussion in 'Retailer Feedback' started by DaveP, Jun 11, 2006.

1. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hill House Nursery really does it for me - so much so that the owners have become very good friends over the years. Fantastic range of plants - especially rare or unusual types, no distractions from crap, poncy gifts or general bric-a-brac.

This is a real gardener's nursery with top quality plants at great prices. For beginners or those uncertain about a particular plant, the advice given is very friendly, genuinely expert and drawn from hands-on experience as opposed to a quick scan of a book. Provided you outline what you intend to do with a plant, they will stop you buying the wrong thing (unless you absolutely insist).

The gardens and house are lovely and there's a sumptuous range of eatables in the tea rooms. A must if you live in Devon, Somerset or east Cornwall and only 10 mins from the A38 nr. Ashburton.

Hill House Nursery - Devon

[ 11. June 2006, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: DaveP ]

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Dave. I have to admit I have only just looked in this section. I come down quite regularly that way to see my sister who lives outside Bovey Tracey, and have been meaning to visit Hill House Nursery. Are there any other nurseries or gardens worth visiting down there. Is Plant World in Newton Abbott worth a visit? Last year we visited Coleton Fishacre, where the rhyl garden was absolutely lovely. I was so impressed that I am growing some of those tender plants such as Salvia Uliginosa and Rehmania up here in Yorkshire.

3. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Peter, H.H.N. is probably the best within a 50 or so mile radius if not greater. Tender perennials and shrubs are its main signature, although they grow a large range of solidly hardy plants as well. It's one of those places that if you can't see something you want, they've probably got a few tucked away and may even have one to spare. Thankfully it is only 15 miles away, so I use it as my local nursery. The owner Ray Hubbard and I swap plants from time to time. I'm just a few yards from the sea and most of the plants he grows under glass there grow well outside here. This always gives me plenty of opportunity to indulge in some good natured teasing.

Plant World is very variable in terms of plants for sale - sometime plenty of interesting things, other times none. However, the 'World of Plants' garden is worth a visit and if you get to chat with Ray Brown, you'll find him to be a fanatical plantsman. His seed preparation and packing unit had me boggle-eyed when I went behind the scenes a few years ago. He's always on the look-out for something new and to his credit, he's introduced some interesting plants.

Coleton is good isn't it. It used to be a lot better, then went off, but is now improving again. Same too with Overbecks near Salcombe, which I tend to prefer. Their form of Musa basjoo is rather different to the one micro-propped and generally available now. It grows much taller and is less prolific in its production of offsets. I believe the plants were from the earliest introductions of the species into the UK.

Near to Bovey is Burnham Nurseries - one of the country's leading orchid growers. They've always got something worth looking at and have a separate glasshouse planted naturally with all manner of orchids and epiphytes growing on tree branches. It's a couple of quid to go in and look around, but I don't think it is money wasted. The site is shared with a nursery that grows masses of very low priced, but high quality bedding plants - excellent value early in the season.

Depending upon your interests plant-wise, a visit to Koba Koba just off the M5 in Somerset might be an eye-opener. David Constantine has amassed quite a collection of tender plants including his speciality bananas. He's the country's leading expert upon Musa and related genera and with so many for sale, it will be difficult not to take something back - if only to grow in a cool greenhouse.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Dave. Many thanks for your helpful reply. I will certainly be visiting HHN. I must also visit Overbecks. I spent most holidays in Salcombe from childhood and my father lived there for many years. Curiously I have never been to Overbecks, though I think everyone else in the family had. We used to walk past it to Bolt Head.

Plant world is so close to that famed shopping mecca of Trago Mills :D , that it will be an easy trip. Three years ago, when I started gardening, I bought 800 pots in three sizes from Trago for little more than �£20. I had to get some more this Easter!

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting thread - thanks DaveP.

I will certainly hunt this one out - I live only about 10 miles away.

My favourite Devon Garden Centre is Otter Nurseries in Ottery St Mary - maybe not the cheapest, but certainly the most choice of healthy plants I have ever encountered in a garden centre. Makes a nice day out if you visit Sidmouth afterwards!

http://www.otternurseries.co.uk/