Hmmm, bit confused.........

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Val.., Jan 1, 2011.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    A few weeks ago I purchased 3 potted roses which have been in my garage, well this afternoon I decided to plant one of them into a latge container on the patio. Well having dug the hole etc., I carefully tipped the pot up but all the soil in the pot just fell away to reveal...........a bareroot rose!!! so now I am a bit confused, I suppose I expected more roots like the rose had been growing in the pot?? if not then can someone define potted rose for me as opposed to a bareroot one which would have been cheaper. :scratch:

Val

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Val,

sounds like they'd potted it up while it was dormant, not had a chance to put out any new root growth.
    Looks like you've paid for a pot and some compost to.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,277
    Good evening Gemini there are 3 ways to purchase your Roses,I respectfully suggest that yours were Potted bare root the 3rd option as shown below.

1.Potted roses are planted and rooted in pots. When taken out of the pot, the roots can be seen growing through the compost.

2.Bare root roses are planted in the ground and sold without pot or compost. These roses are often much cheaper.

3.Potted bare root
    roses are placed in pots for ease of handling in the nursery and distribution. When taken out of the pot, the compost will fall away, leaving the bare root.

Bare root plants, which are cheaper but more sensitive, Potted plants are easier to get to establish them selves in your garden and have higher survival rate.

I hope this explanation is some help to you:)

4. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Yes, thank you woo I have definitely got potted bare root but the nursery describes them as potted which I think is a bit misleading. True the pot and compost have protected the roots and also kept them moist but I wasn't expecting to plant a bare root and the hole I dug was much too large!!! :doh:

Val

5. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    These 'potted roses' if not sold early would become truely potted roses later this year,as you say rather misleading but I think a fairly common thing ..
    One of my last jobs before retiring last year involved planting some box plants ,I was going to supply these for the lady ,but she rang to say she had purchased some from a well known high street store at a bargain price .. Paving etc done, and come to plant the box and as I tap them out of the pot they were just barerooted and compost just fell away .This was probably Mid May. They got planted but she did loss a number even with plenty of water...
    Lessons learnt alway check the potted roses and indeed other shrubs etc before purchase ...Your roses should be fine just a little more costly than need be ..

Dave