1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoeing weeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria Plum, May 25, 2010.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Same old story for me and the dreaded ground elder. One patch I have is full of it - I have used round up, and sbk, but still it comes back. The trouble is, in waiting for the round up to do its stuff after each application, the other weeds are getting big. I cannot spray the whole lot as I have small perennials and other plants there which I do not want to lose. A lot of the leaves touch, so even the paintbrush technique doesn't work as the weed killer infected leaves brush against the other plants.

I have had to hoe this morning as it is getting ridiculous. Will endless hoeing eventually weaken off the ground elder do you think?

I have also noticed that my Dad, as well as giving me a lot of lovely plants from his garden, has also given me some bindweeed!!!! Lovely. Does the same apply?:(

2. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Even ground elder will eventually weaken and die if the tops are cut off frequently enough. The old gardeners used to say ''never let the weeds see Sunday"

Another option is to lift the plants ( pot them up or move to a holding area ) then cover the problem area with weed supressant membrane or cardboard. After a year or so even troublesome weeds will be killed off and you can replant into a clean area.
    I cleared a large area with this method and killed off creeping thistle, buttercup, ground elder and couch grass in 18 months