Holes in pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by 2pods, May 17, 2005.

1. 2pods

2pods Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Forgive me if this has been asked before.
    I know it sounds daft, but are the inverted cone things inside plastic containers OK for drainage ?

I don't use containers much, and mostly have the Stewart self-watering ones, but these are something the same and were a couple of quid in Tesco's.

I used crocks to the level of the cone with (now drilled) hole, then composted and planted as usual.

However,it occurred to me that there were also roundels for holes on the bottom beside the start of the cones. Should I have used those instead ?

I hope not 'cos some of these are already filled doh ! :rolleyes:

Peter

2. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I have not come across the inverted cone things in plastic containers or the Stewart self-watering ones so dont know what you mean.
    All my containers plastic or pot I have used brocken crocks for drainage.But this year I have a better idea.I read in a gardening magazine to use corks from wine bottles as they are good for drainage and dont add much weight to your pots.
    So now its my excuse for ordering more wine to save the corks. It also keeps me happy.
    Jacqui

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peter

I know the ones you mean. I dont know what the cone thingies are meant to be for but i have chopped them off completely and have had no problems. It sounds like you will be fine unless there is a huge amount of rain. Keep an eye on them and if they look dodgy, drill a few more holes.

4. 2pods

2pods Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

It must be one of life's mysteries ;)

I think if I have to drill it'll have to be the sides.

Peter