1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Holly tree losing leaves

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Roy Harrison, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Roy Harrison

Roy Harrison Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a couple of holly trees in my garden, and since earlier this year they have started to drop their leaves. First of all they turn yellow, and gradually ar falling off. There are many flowers showing and some seem to be setting as for berries. Am I losing these tres or is there something I can do to help them recover. I have a variety of other trees and bushes in the same area, which seem to be unaffected.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,950
    I think, holly loses its leaves about nowish.
    I know its evergreen, but all evergreens lose their leaves, they just do it at a different time and not all at once like deciduous trees do.

3. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Roy,

Welcome to the forum - I hope you can find the answers you are looking for here.

Ilex aquifolium is a very tough tree that can resist quite harmful pathogens that would kill other tree species, so I would be very surprised if you actually lost these trees. Saying that, holly can be affected by the following:

• Honey fungus (butt rot)
    • Perennial canker (which affects twigs, bark, stem etc...)
    • Phytophthora blight & leaf miner (which affects the leaves, shoots, buds, flowers and fruit)

Do you have any pictures of the trees and can you give a brief description of the tree location, ground conditions etc.? How long have you had these trees? Have you had problems with these trees or other species before?

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Evening, Roy and welcome. Is the plant in a wet area of the garden, by any chance?

5. Roy Harrison

Ratings:
    +0
    Neither tree is in a wet area, and the loss of leaves is far more that I have seen before. The largest tree is several years old, and the other must be at least eight or nine years. Although the loss is gradual it is worse than I have ever seen before. Last year and the year before it stayed dark green and had an abundance of berries on, and the younger one had new berries coming on until about March.

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi Roy
    Mine is just the same. Seems it is normal at this time of year as Pete says. It is alarming just how many fall isn't it!!:)

7. Roy Harrison

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well as long as it is not only mine probably it will recover. Yes it does seem to be a large percentage of the leaves this year.

8. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Old leave will drop, but there should be new ones growing. If there is plenty of new growth I think it is probably OK.

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pete is right mine does it about this time every year some years there does seem more.

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,147
    Aye, pete is right, in my garden there is always a really prickly holly leaf hiding next to the weed I'm about to grab with my bare hand.

11. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    The annual leaf fall is well under way again.....I'm still amazed how many fall though!:cnfs: