1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hollyhocks and rust

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by PeterS, Jul 22, 2008.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I am growing Hollyhocks for, effectively, the first time, and they are just starting to flower but ,of course, have got rust. Its my own fault - I meant to spray them much earlier and forgot.

My questions are:- what do other people do about rust? Is there anything that is particularly effective? I virtually never spray, so I am not up with the sprays available. However I recently noted that there was a bug spray that was systemic (ie absorbed by the plant, and which spreads through it). It was supposed to last for several weeks. Is there any such thing for rust? In the absence of that, how often should I spray? And are there any Hollyhock strains that are less susceptable to rust? And does spraying really stop it? And are they really worth all the trouble?

Also, how perennial are Hollyhocks? I am currently treating them as a biennial, and have already got plants growing for next year. And how long do they flower for?

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Peter, Im fairly certain bayer do a systemic fungicide. I spray with nimrod T, this is a pro use chemical and im fairly sure its now actually been withdrawn !!

To be efective you need to start spraying the leaves fortnightly as soon as they open just like with roses

They are perenial and come back year after year.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I do it every year-forget to spray them that is.

I have direct sowed some resistant to rust-cant remember thename but they are T&M seeds-could try googling them.

4. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine are terrible for this, I have sprayed them a couple of times this year however just got back from holiday and they have lost most of their leaves - I have a systemic fungicide in a green bottle (called fungus fighter I think?) however I don't think it lasts on the plant that long as the rust keeps coming back - such a shame as they are lovely plants - I think they are hardy perenials Peter - mine have come back.

Are they worth it - umm I ask myself the same question, with the rust and snail damage, they are not the most attractive plants in my garden at the moment! - That said I planted these last year and they have been nothing but trouble, previously I had some old syle ones in the garden (single blooms - which I actually prefer to the ruffled ones) which were beautiful and didn't seem to have any problems.

Good luck with them.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Many thanks to you all for your helpful comments. I have also done a bit of googling and with your help am getting more of a feel for the subject.

Part of my confusion was that different sources said Alcea rosea (Hollyhock) are biennial, short lived perennials, and perennial. I have discovered that some species are true biennials and even some annuals. But my RHS book sums it up saying that Alcea rosea is perennial, but best to grow as a biennial to reduce the problem of rust.

Many different sprays are suggested. But Progard put his finger on it by saying that you have to spray every fortnight from virtually day one. I feared this might be the case, but was hopeing otherwise. As they are so tall, the books tell you to put them at the back of the border - but that's not the most conveniant for spraying!

I now understand the biennial referance, and am inclined to continue to grow them as biennials. One item I found said "Another option is to choose varieties of Alceas which have some resistance to Hollyhock Rust such as Alcea rugosa – the Russian Hollyhock or Alcea filicifolia Antwerp". http://www.mgovens.freeserve.co.uk/alcea rugosa.htm ... http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/139608568.html

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I grow the Antwerp type (because of rust) and they seem fairly resiliant. Just a few spots on the leaves.

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Cajary - thats very interesting. I was looking at mine again today and decided that they were a total disaster, the rust has made them so ugly and unhealthy looking that I really don't want them in the garden.

I will have a go with the Antwerp type. Do they just come in the dark colours?

8. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :eek::( Peter I have found myself in the same boat this tear... Mine are looking dreadful with the rust this year... I was just thinking yesterday that really I should pull them.. Shame, but I think I will today now....:(:( I shall try Antwerp or maybe rugosa I think... When I first grew them 30yrs ago I really don't remember the rust problem being so bad... I don't know.. Maybe that is just the memory playing tricks..!!;):D:D

:confused: Talking of rust & slightly off topic, but I have also found rust on my periwinkle for the first time this year... I pulled it, but do you think spraying, if I find it again is worth it.?:confused:

9. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to the tales of woe, I grew hollihocks last year for the first time from seed planted the previous year. They are bigger than I expected, 7-8 feet tall, the flowers are terrific but it's impossible to ignore the whole plant which is ungainly, riddled with snail damage and rampant rust, the same thing this year as last year. My conclusion is the same, that sadly they will have to go and I feel the same, that it is a shame but they look a mess.

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :( You too...!! It's such a shame they suffer the way they do with rust.....:(:( As they are such magnificent flowering plants I think most of us hate to pull a plant & chuck it.... Sick or not...!!!:rolleyes: I am definitely trying a rust resistant kind for next year....;):thumb:

11. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    i planted a hollyhock i got at lidl,it was just labelled "Alcea" in march/april, i think there was 3 pieces of root ? and only one came up ,i have never grown them before,and it is now 4ft tall and has the most beautiful white flowers,will it come again next year [​IMG]

12. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It should do Pam, if you cut the stem close to the base after it has finished flowering, you could also collect and dry some of the seeds if you are happy with the plant but they will not flower in the first year. Sounds as though you and cajary are the only satisfied customers, good luck with your alcea.