Hollyhocks

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I hope someone can answer this. Are Hollyhocks perennials or biennals? I've heard the latter, but several houses here have them growing semi-wild and they return year after year-they are sprouting from the same knarled old plant, not self seeding. I have a couple in the garden which were planted last year and are sprouting now.

Secondly, if I sow seeds now, will they bloom this year or will it be next year?

2. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Norfolk boy, says this years seed = 2010 flowers

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    So....small plants for sale now should bloom this year? And are they perennials?

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    As far as I am aware Aaron, they are both-some are biennials and some are perennials.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    :dh:
    I'm determined to have some. They're so hardy here-the ones in other gardens grow out of cracks in pavements and in any old soil.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Such outstanding flowers-I got ONE once self seeding in my garden, I waited for the allegedly bounty of self seeders to show their faces the following year and zip-not a whisper so I went out and seeded like mad last year-silly bu**er that I am I also did the same with foxgloves and by jove I can see I will have plenty of the those judging by the clusters forming. Note to self-be more cautious with throwing seeds about in the garden.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Self seeding doesn't work for me :(

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`ll send you some babies in a moss roll if they turn out any good-or make the fatal error of turning up in amongst my peonies!

9. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine are perennial, they are also a perenial pain in the but with rust! I only have one left as I have pulled the others out in annoyance - you have just reminded me to start spraying it!

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I imagine it will therefore be wise to give them a good soaking with bordeau mix then or do you use something particularly effective Ellie?

11. Dorndorf

Dorndorf Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have grown a lot of Hollyhocks this year, all have flowered and now have the large "bulb" at the base of the flower which is filled with a ring of seeds. All except one plant. The flowers have finished but, instead of the large seed bulb, they have a small round brown "dough-nut" about 8mm across. It is exactly the same as the large seed rings - lots of little segmented seeds making the ring but totally different in that these rings are solid. DSC_0403.JPG I planted one of the rings and half a dozen plants have sprouted from it, so they are obviously meant to be like this. Is there a different strand of Hollyhocks which these belong to?

12. john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8,188
    The bees love Hollyhocks so I sowed the seeds in spring, on the packet it said they would flower next year...........well they have flowered this year. I have two in pots around 2ft tall, ready to plant out next spring. P1000987.JPG P1000989.JPG P1000987.JPG P1000990.JPG

• Like Like x 1