Hollyhocks

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by westwales, May 24, 2012.

1. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    Anyone know what depth of soil Hollyhocks need? I bought some established plants but didn't realise how tall they would grow so I don't want to put them in my planned planting area. I've found a place next to a wall where I think they may be OK but the soils is poor and not very deep (about a spade depth) as it's in a rocky area.

I don't have many options but I want to give them a chance & I think I'd prefer to pass them on than plant them somewhere that's unsuitable. I know the site is suitable above ground, (near a wall. protected from prevailing winds & south-west facing).

Thanks for any info

2. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    You could keep them in pots but bury the pots as much as possible

3. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    You could keep them in pots but bury the pots as much as possible

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    If me I would dig out as much soil as you can and replace with fresh compost put them in, give them a water with some tomoto food in once a week spade depth sounds fine, they have had a good start I have a feeling they like it well drained as well, toughie plant well apart from rust but thats another question ....

I noticed your lady friend has gone :lunapic 130165696578242 5: was it you Ziggi

Spruce

5. westwales

westwales Gardener

Ratings:
    +598
    As`I bought 6 I'm going to try 3 in the soil today and keep the others for another week or two before deciding what to do. My concern was/is that if the soil isn't deep enough I'd have to put them in pretty large pots which I'd rather not do, burying pots won't help I'm afraid as the point is that there isn't much soil depth.

I think it may have to be a learn from experience situation.

I always find it interesting that when you buy plants the label nearly always tells you height and spread, often tells you aspect and temperature and although they sometimes say planting depth I can't ever remember seeing one that told you root depth & spread. I've been working on my old biology teacher's advice that a plant shape is usually reflected underground but as these hollyhocks will grow to over 2m I'm guessing/hoping that they will be anchored by wide roots rather than deep ones?

6. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    Hi Spruce,

i have a hollyhock in my garden that i planted year before last. Last year it was getting covered in rust just like you say above, was hoping the cold weather over winter would kill it off but it is growing back now and still covered in rust, is there anything i can do?? it still flowered last year but im worried the rust mite spread to everything else.

Hi Westwales,

the only other thing i can think off then is to try to buils a raised bed for them if you cant dig out stones.
    Good look with it though keep us updated how you get on i love hollyhocks :dancy:

7. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Use a fungicide a rose one will do the winter wont kill it off , it wont spread to other plants , I dont grow these either !!! look awful all manky orrid plant too much trouble for what you get , well thats what I think

Spruce

8. westwales

westwales Gardener

Ratings:
    +598
    Funnily enough I don't like them much either and I've never had them in my garden before. I do like them when I see them growing against an old farmhouse wall in the sun in rural France - but I like any old weed then too. I bought these because of the colour; almost black, which I thought would be a colour contrast in a mostly pink border but I thought they were a dwarf variety and now having bought them, I feel I have to look after them.

9. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    i only have one :biggrin: Dont judge me to harshly :snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,018
      Aw Hydrogen,
      we've all got our pet likes that put other people's teeth on edge(eg.forgetmenots) so I am with you on the side of Hollyhocks. We have them in the communial garden beds and they are usually rust free I think . Not around just yet but I will try and commit to memory and post a piccie IDC.

• Like Like x 1
      • westwales

westwales Gardener

Ratings:
        +598
        You never know, if these grow I might fall in love with them!

The plants I always really disliked were gladioli, then someone gave some bulbs to my daughter when she was about 6 and she was so proud of them when they grew that I got to quite like them for a few years.

• Gretzky

Gretzky Gardener

Protective Coatings Inspector
        Ratings:
        +278
        Oh dear, this thread has got me worried now.

I planted some "Majorette" seeds a few weeks back and are coming through.

The packet said they grow to 3ft so how accurate is the pack description? They (at 3ft) are just about as high as I want them to go.

Does anyone else have this variety and how tall do they grow for you?

Thanks.

Seems my fears are unfounded http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_c7dc.html