1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Home made coffee

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by hans, Apr 7, 2015.

1. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Anyone know how to make a half decent instant or machine made coffee, Black no sugar with froth around the sides in a cup of course. I have the cheaper well known Nes and Ken but still not what I am looking for. We spend some of the winter away and the only thing I miss is the coffee.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I am very fussy about coffee, like you, strong black no sugar, for an instant I buy carte D'or, I don`t bother with the machines since O.H. died, too much faffing for one.

3. rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    If I may pass on the info from a coffee expert, the important thing is not to boil the water (e.g. with instant coffee) but bring it to just under the boil. I can vouch for the difference. Boiled water = bitter coffee. Percolated coffee has had its day I guess!

As for the froth effect - you can buy very small whisks if you are that fussed!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
      Ratings:
      +598
      I don't drink coffee but was given VERY precise instruction by a self-confessed coffee enthusiast a few years back ! As Rosebay said, I was advised 94degrees, in a saucepan, stirring continuously for 4 minutes. Not sure whether the stuff about the stirring etc matters that much but I have heard from several sources that 94degs is optimal temperature.

• rosebay

Ratings:
      +1,162
      Well I do like a pleasant cup of coffee (even though I use organic instant coffee powder) but I am not about to get out a thermometer every time I want a cup! [​IMG]

I have developed an eye for telling when the pan of water is just under the boil...i.e. detecting the signs of slight movement around the edges. If I don't catch it in time I do tend to throw away the water and start again, rather than endure what will be a bitter cup of coffee.

• Like Like x 1
      • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
        Ratings:
        +598
        I wouldn't dream of getting a thermometer out either but like you, if I'm making coffee for somebody I do ensure that the water isn't boiling.

I did once read that coffee made with boiling water has more calories as something or other is released at boiling point but do I believe that? As I don't drink it I have to depend on friends telling me whether the coffee I make is up to par and so far no-one has intervened and asked to make their own so I either have tolerant friends or the coffee is OK.

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          :heehee:

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +745
          Just got in. I will try all suggestions the overheating water is easy to try. In fact in a few mins just before the footy starts I will try this. Bitterness is bit of a problem.
          I realise the decent cafes have fresh ground beans and all sorts of things so just to get close would be so good.
          Yes it has to be quick don't want to be waiting too long might go off the whole idea. I really should try other brands shame no one does a coffee tasting. The one you mentioned pamsdish I can't seem to find. Strong is the word for black coffee.
          thanks all for your efforts.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,629
          I've been buying that half fine ground and instant stuff, I think its called Whole Bean Instant.

I usually put one and a half teaspoons full in a mug, then add some milk, topped up to the top with water.
          Stick it in the microwave, at 1000Watts it gets one minute.

Comes out slightly frothy.
          But definitely not Cappuccino.:smile:

• rosebay

Ratings:
          +1,162
          When I have company, I use my cafetiere with organic ground coffee. Occasionally I will use the turkish method with this, i.e. place the organic ground coffee in a pan with some water and gradually bring it almost to boil, stirring. Then pour directly into a cup that has a strainer over it.

Sometimes I make a mocha in that turkish method, i.e. half water and half milk in a pan with some organic ground coffee and some organic cocoa.

Whilst we are on the subject of coffee....I have developed my own quick method for iced coffee. I heat up about a tablespoon of water and pour it over the usual amount of instant coffee in a cup (with a little sugar). Once it has dissolved I either place a cube of ice in it or (if I am very hot, I will bash up some ice cubes in a plastic bag using my pestle). Add chilled water and milk. (Preferably some single cream too). If leaving the ice cube whole, I let it sit awhile to dissolve.

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Strong black for me too, sometimes with sugar.
            I use a cafetierre (spelling?) using Italian blend (needs to be 4 or above). I usually buy Taylors brand, sometimes the Co Op Fairtrade, sometimes the Oxfam one. A new one that I've just tried and is the equal of Taylors is Cafe Express (also from the Co Op).
            Boil the kettle, wait a minute and then pour the water, wait 4 or 5 minutes then push the plunger down.
            Never wash it out with soapy water.

Instant gives me a headache.

• Like Like x 1
            • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
              "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
              Ratings:
              +4,445
              Sorry got my ice creams mixed up with the coffee, on offer at Tosco at the moment £5, for the 200g jar, usually about £6-50, although I buy mine at B&M where consistently £4-79
              [​IMG]

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +745
              I must say not boiling has helped no bitterness aftertaste when going for the, as Pete said, 'one and a half teaspoons' of coffee. It has to be strong as I said above. I am in a rut not to be confused with Rut deer me and I am gong to try other brands with your suggestions.
              Italians and Spanish seem to be natural drink makers, mind they have to be good at something.
              Shallots first then.... coffee.

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,474
                Lyons do some coffee bags which are very good - one cup, work the same as tea bags, and give you a nice filtered coffee taste without the hassle. They come in plasti-foil wrappers to keep them fresh too.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • LillyBells

LillyBells Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +13
                  Using an espresso machine is the only time I've ever gotten the coffee froth on top. I assume it's caused by the pressure that the water is being forced through the grounds. I used to make my coffee using such a machine, I enjoyed it more than drip or percolated coffee.

I've heard real coffee lovers talk about using only filtered water or spring water to brew their best cup. They mention the effect that chlorine and other compounds in the water can have on the end result. I guess that makes sense.