1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Home made planters.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Chopper, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    As they say in all the best TV cookery shows...... "Heres one I made earlier!

[​IMG]

Made from 4 x 70cm lengths of half round fence rail. two pieces of gravel board for the ends and a piece of marine ply for the base. The legs are made of triangular timber that is used in crate making.

I planted some Narcissi Minarette, Polyanthus, Old Wifeys, Crocus and Violas. Allof which Ihave grown from bulbs or plug plants. Finished it today and left it in the polytunnel as it is still too cold for it to be outside. Mrs Chopper says that all of the plants should be OK outside, so I will move it tomorrow and see what happens.

I am planning to make some more, all different designs, shapes and sizes. What do other members think of it?

Chopper.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,077
    Very neat job Chopper, I like it. All those plants will be better off outside (except I've never heard of Old Wifeys before - must be a somerset name for something - I'd like to know what, I can see it next to the polyanthus but my plant id skills are poor.) If they have been inside the polytunnel then you might want to harden them off - leave them outside during the day and bring them in at night for a week or so.

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
  4. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Very nice chopper, very attractive!!:thumbsup:

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    It's brilliant Chopper but don't keep us all guessing - what is a "wifey"???

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Its a plant that logs on without being connected to the modem.

7. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Very very nicely done:dbgrtmb: I like the half round sides they give it a good rustic look.

I made a few myself from shiplap fenceboard and whatever else i had hanging about the garage.
    Not as good as yours but painted up they dont look to bad and they do the job for me

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,077
    :DOH: :loll:

9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumbsup: Like it Chopper, you can custom make them for your corners or that odd space, so many different shapes that you can make with that stuff... :thumbsup:

10. taffy26

taffy26 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a planter that I made some some ago.
    It is about 4' across and is is sitting on top of an old well.

[​IMG]

It was made from decking planks and other decking materials so is well proofed.
    I lined it with plastic sheets and stained and varnished the outside.
    It has been in use now for two years now and I have good results each year.
    The first year I had violas as the outer ring of plants and they were great. Imagine my surprise in the January
    of the following year when there were stacks of self set seedlings!! I potted over a 100 plants which were terrific throughout the year.

11. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    I wish I had the necessary skills to make similar planters, unfortunately I am useless with
    a saw and nails/etc. Planter looks great Chopper - you could develop a whole new industry.

By the way, was in Australia a week or two ago and noticed many 'Harleys' around Melbourne; found out there was a major dealer round the corner from my hotel as wonderfully noisy as ever..