Honeysuckle in a container

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    We have a new neighbour who has decided to cut down the Honeysuckle which is growing on the other side of the dividing fence that fence is their responsibility and the honeysuckle belongs to them.A lot of it was hanging over to our side which was nice and it will be a shame to lose it.Is it possible to plant some Honeysuckle plants in containers and put the containers on our stone patio next to the fence and fix some trellis to the fence for the plants to climb up.We cannot plant in the ground as I mentioned the stone patio goes right up to the fence.I thought about getting a couple of large stoneware pots.If this will work when would the time be to buy the plants and plant them.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Paul, a couple of things :)
    Honeysuckles often self layer themselves and you may well find you can sever one or two and pot up so can you pop across and see?

I know folks do plant honeysuckles in containers but they are, far and away, plants for the open ground. You would need a large container and choose the right variety as well as using a good John innes compost. Honeysuckles are greedy plants needing space for their roots to be at their best

There is a dwarf honeysuckle called HoneyBush that can grow in a container that might be worth checking out.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      I did think about a couple of those half barrels we have one at the bottom of the garden and it is quite big.

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Yes, go for it Paul. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • FlyFifer

FlyFifer Gardener

Ratings:
          +48
          I have one in a pot and it flowered last year for the 1st time in 4 years or so. This year, it hasn`t flowered and doesn`t look like it`s going to either. So for me, it`s a hit and miss type.

I only kept it going as I have a 'heath spotted orchid' growing in the pot.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,834
          Did/do you feed it, FF??? Fairly fast growing plant that like the ground rather than containers need feeding reasonably regularly to make up for the lack of space for their roots.:dunno::coffee::)

• FlyFifer

FlyFifer Gardener

Ratings:
          +48
          It wasn`t fed regularly I admit for a couple of years but it`s next to a cracking Camelia so gets fed at the same time with the same liquid seaweed. I presumed that`s why it flowered well last year. Just nothing this year. Last feed was Tomorite 2 weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
          • caskin

caskin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +3
            This post has really opened my eyes to honeysuckle growing.
            I purchased one off a reputable supplier.
            First I used a large clay pot, added john Innes and trellis work.
            The plant took off like a rocket and then suddenly began to die back! I looked up all the experts (Forgot about my own Forum(here),who advised water from below, plus if it rains don't water for 2 weeks.Tried this and plant perked up then wilted like clematis wilt!!
            Now with all the rain we have had the plant is virtually dead and in a attempt to save it I have cut it right back to last 6 inches.
            Reading the excellent advice in this post it would appear, using a pot was bad news as lack of room for roots and possible water logged, equally too much growth without sufficient feed.
            Would appear from what is said, that if I can find a place for it in the garden then it might stand a chance,but so much for my thoughts that once a honeysuckle was planted it just took care of itself just requiring pruning!!
            Thank you for not only answering other members problems with this plant, but also my own Regards Derek

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,834
              Hi Caskin, well, it's not that hard to please or maintain to be honest:dunno: I have around 4 Honeysuckle of different varities on either side of my Arbour along (givng a total of 8) with some climbing roses, planted closely together in the soil and both kinds of plants climb happily up the sides......but since I, primarily, feed the Rose with a mixture of Liquid Seaweed and Miracle Gro around once a week, as part on my general gardening care, the Honeysuckles get a feed at the same time. Depending on your gardening tastes, style, and site, you'll find you will only need to tie the Honeysuckle into the shape and area you want. My Honeysuckle have a tendency to wander inside into the dark of the roof of the Arbour, and this morning I wove two long stems that had done so back into the main frame of intertwining stems of the Roses and Honeysuckle. Let us know how you get on.:love30:

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,890
              Hi @Paul Blackburn
              Hi @caskin

In case either of you are interested there are now two Lonicera ( Honeysuckle ) that have been bred with shorter growth especially for growing in pots and containers....

Caprilia Imperial
              Rhubarb and Custard

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                Ratings:
                +10,371
                I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a awesome neighbor friend that has one in a container for years. she lets it ramble on her deck.