1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Honeysuckle keeps failing??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ThePlantAssassin, Jan 20, 2021.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Hoping some of you may have some ideas on why I am so unsuccessful with Honeysuckle. I have tried several different varieties of which I cant remember the names and also put them in different places around the garden but to no avail. They fail to thrive and barely grow at all and then when they do I get bare minimum growth and no flowers at all and then the leaves all turn yellow and die off. Am I merely living up to my forum name or might my soil simply be unsuitable. I may be wrong (not sure but that may have happened before, well once anyway :heehee:) but I was under the impression Honeysuckle was a tough cookie?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,363
    Hello PA, they're not too fussy about soil but need shade and moisture to do well. Once a honeysuckle is established, plenty of high potash food and water ensures a healthy plant and lots of flowers. L. halliana (semi-evergreen with yellow and white, scented flowers) is vigorous and bomb-proof.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
      Ratings:
      +1,016
      Thank you @noisette47 That variety name doesnt ring a bell with me so I will be on the lookout to see if I can find one. I just really want some scented climbers. My Jasmine doesnt do well in that department either but at least its vigorous with lush greenery....but I want the scented flowers most of all.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,363
      Try giving your jasmine a regular dose of tomato food :). Another lovely plant is Trachelospermum jasminoides (probably now called Rhyncospermum). That's an evergreen with white, scented, jasmine-like flowers. T. asiaticum has creamy-yellow flowers.
      Dregea sinensis (Wattakaka) would probably do well on a sunny, sheltered wall in well-drained soil. Very heavily scented white flowers with red spots.

• Like Like x 1