1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hooks for bird feeders

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by magrat, Feb 3, 2010.

1. magrat

magrat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!

I've recently bought fat snax/bird seed and I'm looking for a shepherd's hook bird feeder or something similar. I was wondering if anyone knew of any chain stores which stock reasonably priced ones? There are lots online, but I'd like to get one this weekend.

B&Q stocks one but it's pretty expensive for what is essentially a pole with a curve, and I can't see any on Homebase.

Thanks v much!

2. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i agree magrat they do seem to be expensive for what they are, i have a couple and tbh they are really useful as you can site the feeders exactly where you want them so that you can watch the birds feed and it keeps them safely off the ground. you could hang them from your washing line!!!! but they would get in the way of the washing and you might get a few 'birdy presents' on them and have to do the washing again

i would say invest and get a couple - they will bring so much to the garden and will last for years and years

loopy

3. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I use a bit of wire bent in a loop at the top an bottom. these take fatballs (and thin balls), peanut and seed holders. Fatballs are hung from anything that is handy, eg easy to reach guttering.

Peanut and seed holders are hung from branches.

I use 1.5mm wire - about the same guage as a coathanger

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :) I assume you mean something to hang fat balls in,I have used old metal coat hangers ,cut them to length bend a hook on each end,just stick the ball into the hook and hang in trees or anywhere.............They may end up on the floor where the birds can finish them off.......:)

Sorry Has bean you just beat me to it.

5. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    Roders you are nothing but an old-fashioned cheapskate. :-)

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I know what it is you mean, a sort of stand alone thing so as cats can't lie in ambush behind a branch or something. I have two cats and love wildbirds so it's a struggle for me too. Try a scrapyard, they don't often get thrown away though-I have checked.

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    We got some 'thumb stick' style sticks from the woods last year and have used them as bird feeder hooks. The birds seem to prefer it and they look really wonderful and natural. Like a smaller version of the old fashioned washing line pole to hold the washing line up.

8. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know where in London you are, or if getting out to the A20 at New Ash Green is possible for you - but the Woodlands Garden Centre have one on clearance right now - four of the 'arms' at top each with two hooks, three shepherds hooks that go further down on the pole, a feed tray and a water tray - for £15.00 - a heck of a buy. Haven't been there for a couple of weeks, but might be worth a phone call to see if they still have them at that price?

9. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    "Like a smaller version of the old fashioned washing line pole to hold the washing line up".

Old-fashioned! I still used them. Cut a new one every couple of years

10. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    :hehe: Old-fashioned to me is not a bad thing, I fill my house with 'old-fashioned' wherever possible! And my garden come to that, as you can see....

[​IMG]

11. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  12. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Aww Victoria is that a goldfinch? :)

13. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Yes, it is! I love them. They like my ' natural' bird feeder.

14. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Mine is the same as the adli infact think I got it there a few yrs ago.

But I had to take the seed tray off at the bottom as big birds were going on and scaring the wee birds.

And where my hanging baskets would be on these hooks got seed o rfat balls.

15. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Was just down at our local Morrisons store - they have a bird feeder with two hooks at the top, a couple of shepherd type hooks that you can fit wherever on the pole, and a seed tray and a water tray - for £8.