1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornet

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by kr236rk, Jan 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kr236rk

kr236rk Gardener

Ratings:
    +63
    Have a resident hornet, only one, it's been around for years. Total mystery. Appears in the summer, staggers around in the autumn, disappears all winter, then comes back in the summer again. Is never a problem, minds its own business.

Attached Files:

2. kr236rk

kr236rk Gardener

Ratings:
    +63
    Better look at face & rear.

hornet face.jpg hornet2.jpg

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    • Like Like x 1
    • kr236rk

kr236rk Gardener

Ratings:
      +63
      Single hornet returns year after year, never two together. In high summer this beast moved so swiftly I couldn't see it to photograph it ~ turbo-powered ~ could only hear it to know it was around. Then in the autumn it collided with the side of my head, fell on the floor, that's when I managed to photograph it. It crawled away later, seemed to have a damaged wing. Couple of nights afterwards it appeared on the outside of the bathroom window when I put the light on inside. Saw it a couple of times doing this before the winter set in. Is it a male or a female please?

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,372
      I suspect that if you leave an outside light on during summer evenings, you'll have more than one around! This link
      European hornet - Wikipedia
      explains the differences between male and female. I caught my cat playing with one, many years ago. Luckily, it must have been a male!

• Like Like x 2
      • kr236rk

kr236rk Gardener

Ratings:
        +63
        I could (still) never tell the difference - I was aware that hornets pose a threat to bees but then so do arachnids. Never seen a hornet until last year, they are awesome in every sense of the word I feel. Asian hornets I would not suffer, they are an invasive species.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,372
        We've got both here. They build nests in the woods all around and use the orchard as an all day café :wallbanging: What with hornets, paper wasps, mossies, termites, cossus cossus and now palm moths, I'm going to invite David Attenborough to spend his remaining days here ;) He'd love it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • kr236rk

kr236rk Gardener

Ratings:
          +63
          Outdoors, it's only invasive species I strongly object to - some of which could have been contained & removed from the local environment by the powers that be, but are now far and wide. Mosquitoes I can keep at bay with insect repellent when necessary.