1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Horrid little flies!!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by takemore02withit, Aug 11, 2009.

1. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    A friend of mine had a rubber plant which she was going to throw out coz she had neglected it and never repotted it for years. so it was just a tall spike with litle leaves on it.
    So I snipped off the top and replanted it and it is doing really well. The problem is there are these little flies that seem to be living in the soil and Im worried they will do some harm to the plant.
    Has anyone any ideas as to what they are and what I can do about them? Thanks, 02

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The flies are living in the compost, and one of the ways to get rid of them is to change the compost. They also like warm moist conditions, which house plants tend to give. I would let it dry out for a bit, and then try to change as much of the compost as possible. You may need to take some time over this, as the more compost you can get out of the root space the better.

I don't think that the flies do any harm to the plant, but they are very very very annoying to have them flying around all the time.

Hope this Helps!

3. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I always wondered about those :)

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I have had this problem in the past with my houseplants. I think the flies are fungus gnats which lay their eggs in the compost. What has worked for me is putting a squirt of washing up liquid in the watering can and then filling it up and giving the plants a good soaking. If you put a decent mulch of gravel on the pot it will deter the flies as well as they like easy access to the compost. Hope this helps some!

5. takemore02withit

Ratings:
    +40
    I was thinking of changing the compost but with the roots being so young I was frightened of damaging them. Do you think they will be ok? :scratch: 02

6. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Great advice Catztail. If these tiny flies are bothering you, TO2, then you could always get one of those small electric fly zappers with the bulb that kills them stone dead. I got one to put near my indoor plants.

7. takemore02withit

Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the advice strawman, but my gardening skills (taken lightly):hehe: dont go to those extremes. Try to keep it as simple and inexpesive as possible. Thanks for the advce though it is greatly appreciated.:thmb: 02

8. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That's okay! The zapper I bought cost me about six pounds and to be honest, those little flies bothered me more than having to spend the money.:hehe:

9. takemore02withit

Ratings:
    +40
    Ive never come across them before, they are such a pain in the butt. I felt as though I hadnt been doing my job properly. Im normally quite careful to make sure I give my plants the best possible chance.:( 02