1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

horrid splinter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jesss, Nov 25, 2007.

1. jesss

jesss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!
    I was taking an "unsightly" branch off a tree I thought was a Robinia pseudoacacia, and I grabbed the brach and a big horrid thorn broke off in my finger (which after 4 days rooting about I'v finally removed!). I didn't realise they were thorned, was it not a Robinia or are they thorny???!
    I will look before I grab next time anyway, lesson learnt!

2. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Jesss,

Either way, next time you get a splinter soak the area in salt water to draw it out or buy a bloomin good pair of gloves like mine (�£2.50 - well I do spend large amounts on such trifles) :D

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  4. jesss

jesss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    AHa! Salt water ey? I will do that next time.
    I do NORMALLY wear gloves but they disintegrated, I finally binned them and then immediately recieved this nasty spike! Boooooo
    Will get more gloves!

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,886
    Robinia is thorny, as you now know, but I think there are thornless cultivars available.
    Hope it gets better soon. [​IMG]

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,833
    Hi Jesss The Robinia-Pseudo-acacia (Frasia)sometimes called the False Acacia or the Black Locust,Indeed has very long and sharp thorns.It will grow in Height to 50ft and spread 25ft and grows very fast.I keep mine at a reasonable height
    by trimming it every so often when the leaves have fallen off as it is Deciduous.hope this is off some help [​IMG]

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,840
  8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    It certainly is thorny, almost as bad as quickthorn but not as many spikes, got a couple of scars from it on my forearm!

If you havent, make sure your teatanus is up to date and stick some antiseptic on.

I always buy mecurecrome when im on holiday in france, imo the best antiseptic about sadly its not sold over here.

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh dear Jesss a splinter in ones finger is a right pain (sorry for the pun) especially the big ones which seem to burrow much further in than the little ones, just when you think you have the little blighter it breaks off and leaves the rest in place still!

Paula if we all had to wait until we got some new gloves before we did any work in the garden nothing will get done and as for paying �£2.50 for gloves I could never do that... I have still got loads left from Tesco's sale good job I got a loads because I get through them as quick as a chocolate bar! :D

Anyway Jesss hope your poor finger has stopped throbbing now. [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

10. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I recently felt a little shock of pain in my finger tip whenever I pressed something. I could see a little black dot in the finger tip and with a little bit of needle and tweezer finger surgery I extracted a 3mm long splinter.Small but uncomfortable.

I have also heard of the saltwater method but I couldn`t be bothered waiting for it to draw.

Don`t think it would be as satisfying as digging it out,probably a man thing :D

Hi LoL,
    I am surprised at the amount of sharp thorns on the bouganvillea.

11. Vistabile

Vistabile Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use two pairs of gloves, one durable pair for the 'tough' jobs and lightweight pair for those jobs that need a more delicate touch. If I am lucky I can make both last just over a year, so gardening gloves are a very welcome pressie to find in a Christmas stocking !!

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    �£2.50, Paula!!!! Are you a millionaire? I get Boss lady to knit mine from unraveled socks. I then stick used corn plasters over the fingers. Us retired people have to watch the pennies. (Have you seen the price of gin?)

13. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    John, you are mad man totally mad :D :D

The thought of your hands like that has me in fits :D

How about rubber finger stops as well to finish the look :D

14. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I rarely use gloves unless its lifting rough heavy things that are going to shred the hands or its digging in cold weather. So when weeding a splinter is not uncommon...and the things break off so I have this little black speck. I usually refer to the wife, she being a nurse. I hold out my arm and look away while she prods away with one of her needles. Much easier than doing it myself.
    Worst splinters are those that go right under the fingernail :eek:

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The worst thorns are the ones you get when your least expecting it eg last week when I caught my hand on a hawthorn branch whilst strimming, since i work on my own I dont even have an audidience for sypathy (fat chance).