1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Horsetail and composting

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by daisybelle, Jul 12, 2015.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm just getting ready to start a compost bin. I have horsetail pretty much all over the back garden, but so far, not the front. The spot where the bins are to go has it and it's in the lawns.
    I've had success killing it above ground with horticultural vinegar, but obviously that doesn't touch the roots. In the lawns I just mow to keep on top of it.
    I assume it'll just grow up into the compost? When harvesting, if I avoid the actual plant material, is it still going to be spread anywhere I put the compost? Would damp/weed membrane be any use, under the bins?
    Should I compost the lawn cuttings? Currently they go in the council garden waste bin, perhaps I should carry on doing that.
    Any thoughts and advice before I take the plunge much appreciated thanks :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Weed membrane would help.

Try to layer the grass cuttings with other material, it tends to clump if you put the lot in at once :)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Yes, I reckon horsetail tops won't regrow, the grass cuttings should help your compost get to a decent temp to cook them anyway.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,369
    I, also, think that regular grass cuttings with the horsetail in it shouldn't be a problem for composting. If you miss cutting it and the grass is longer then I'd be inclined to put it in the recycling.

With the compost bin:-
    If it's a proper, enclosed bin with a plastic or metal bottom, then you won't have problems with the compost in it. If it's an open bottomed bin/heap then I would be inclined to lay a plastic membrane, then some paving stones then more membrane before starting the compost.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Aren't there spores though with Horsetail?

• shiney

Ratings:
      +118,369
      Yes, Horsetail produces spores in Spring.

That's why it's best to keep cutting the grass frequently before it gets a chance to spore. In flowerbeds, around springtime, you need to 'pull' them (grip them gently where they meet the soil and pull, gently, directly upwards. This will remove a section of root as well) as frequently as possible - at least once a week.

The spores walk and jump :hate-shocked:. They 'walk' when the humidity rises and 'jump' when the humidity has reached its peak and starts to dry out.

Outside of the Spring period they multiply by root growth.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
        Ratings:
        +48
        Thanks :) It's an open bottomed bin. So we're talking damp proof membrane right, so it'll be as though I started it on concrete?
        I didn't know about the spores this year, but I do now and shall be super vigilant. Is there any argument for controlling it everywhere in the garden, even the 'wild' corners? Those roots could be getting up to all sorts where I can't see them!
        I have a feeling me and the horsetail are going to get to know each other very well...!

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,369
        It's almost impossible to get rid of. Weed killer isn't very effective but it can restrict the growth - it depends on how long the plants have been there. It dates back to prehistoric times!

If trying weed killer on it then you need to bruise the plant first so that the chemical can penetrate the outer surface. The old fashioned way was to bash the weed with a spade before applying it.

I just do my weekly patrol, pull it, bag it and bin it. Even in my size garden that doesn't take too long as you soon learn where the weed is growing. you just need to keep a sharp eye out for it appearing somewhere else. I do bindweed at the same time. :blue thumb:

• daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
        Ratings:
        +48
        Right, one compost bin done. On dpm, slabs, dpm and I've left space around the bin to get the mower so there shouldn't be any little corners for horsetail to hide.
        I'm thinking messy/wildlife area right in the corner, so I'll just have to hand pull horsetail there :\