1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Horticultural grit

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Steve R, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I've heard this used on many of the gardening TV programmes, seen it used in magazines and online etc. I always thought it was just gravel...is there something I'm missing? Is Horticultural grit a special size/grade of a particular stone?

Regards

Steve...:)

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :) Well the horticultural grit I get is chopped stone fragments.. As I understood it drainaige was better with it. Stops you getting wet & dry pockets in pots as it mixes better than gravel... Peices smaller so not so heavy..! That was what I was told anyway years ago....:dh::D If I am using gravel I always wash it first..!!!:wink:

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`m not sure, I use the cheapest gravel I can find and wash it-haven`t noticed even a slight difference

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I've always bought potting grit, but then I only buy a few bags a year.

As far as I'm concerned gravel is bigger than grit, it comes in different grades.

In potting its always best to use a sharp grit, not the stuff you can buy for aquariums which is rounded.

Also pea shingle has its uses but its not sharp.

Another thing to watch is the type of stone, if its limestone gravel it may be very alkaline.

If I want sharp sand for potting I always get it from the builders.:)

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    There are many different types of grit/gravel. Diffferent size, different colour, different rock, different sharpness. The main thing, especially if you have clay, is to just add something to help drainage.

As Pete says the sharper the better. The word horticultural generally implies something small and sharp. I enquired at a builders merchant, but it cost twice as much as 10 mil gravel for a one ton bag. So I use 10 mil gravel for large quantities in conjunction with equal amounts of sharp sand.

6. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have lived and gardened in different parts of the UK.

There are vast differences in different parts of the country to what is called "Sharp sand".

From clean river (washed) sand (quartz) to the soft limestone sharp sand here in Gloucester.

If it is washed, most of it washes out and what is left is fairly useless for mixing in to composts!

I think that is why most of the motorway bridges in the area have had to be repaired, because they used this soft sand when they were originally built.
    (I do not mean strenghtened to take the heavier lorries, just repaired.)

Cheers

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Steve, all you need do is go to your local garden centre and buy it. Look for the bag that says " Horticultural Grit " It`s also good for dressing pot plants.:thumb: