1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Horticultural Grit

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Val.., Jun 8, 2011.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Remember that nice fine grey/white/bits of pink in it horticultural grit? it was also decorative in it's own right and I used to top off my cactus pots with it, we it is no more!!!!:mad: All you can buy now is what they call Potting Grit which is horrid in comparison and not decorative by any stretch of the imagination. Why does everything always get worse!!!!:gaagh:

Val

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Val,

I went on a one day course on aggregates in Wolverhampton some years ago.

The course was all about the importance of various sands in Historic & Repair Mortars.

We spent the whole day listening about angular sands, sub angular sands, rounded sands, calcareous sands, silica sands and so on.

Nearly nodded of a few times, but at the end of the day, a chap from one of the big quarry companies took the stand and said he'd enjoyed listening about all the different mixes, but due to the "not in my back yard" lot, they will be closing all the local quarries and mining an entire Scottish Island for the futures sand supplies, so the sand you buy at lands end will be the same as the sand from John O' Groats.

There was a silence from the audience before the questions started flying.

He'd just blown the entire conference away in a few seconds:loll:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Well I was looking for some of this a while back and wondered why I couldn't find any.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      Pete, see thread about local gardening clubs/events. The crevice gardens could probably do with some of that grit.

Wednesday 24th January 2007 - A Talk by John Page entitled Crevice Plants & Crevice Gardens - 7.30pm at Braunstone Civic Centre, Leicester - EVERYONE WELCOME SO DO COME ALONG.

• Like Like x 3
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        • Like Like x 2
        • Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
          Ratings:
          +13

Hi Ziggy,

What I said on another posting about being used to be able to buy sharp sand which was like washed sand, it was like quart and sharp when rubbed in the fingers.

Now what they sell here as sharp sand is soft, crumbly rubbish, lumps and dust,useless for potting or anything else.

Change is not always for the better!

Cheers!